Buckwheat Honey - Raw vs Processed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Camnavo19

Reaction score
A question for those who know more about honey than me, especially with regards to GF brewing. I ordered quite a bit of buckwheat honey online (10 lbs) without first thinking to check if it was raw and unfiltered first. Turns out that it is not, they heat it to 180 degrees and filter it. I had a smaller jug of it that I believe was raw and unfiltered and I love what it's done in the beers I've used it in. So my question is, is the processed stuff going to be even worth using? From what I've been able to find, the difference is that the processed has less flavor/aroma than the raw stuff. Does anybody have experience with both? Would I want to use more if using processed?

Also, does anybody have a good online source for raw buckwheat honey? So far I've only been able to find it at Austin Homebrew, for $17 for a 3 lb jar.

Excellent questions that I have no answers to, but would like to hear some answers to for myself.

So thanks for asking.

Buckwheat honey has a very strong flavor that doesn't get hurt as much from the filtering and processing. Some of the more delicate honeys taste like table syrup more than honey after the process. Just my 2 cents. I don't use honey that much, so someone else can answer better than I can. I just think it will be fine and will still make good beer.

Back