Buckets vs Carboys

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I happen to use 7.9 gal buckets, the local supplier happens to have those, and they have the advantage of not resulting in blow-off (thus far.)

And 'B' for me as well.

I guess if the mods are gonna move this to the debate section they may as well change the name of the thread, to

Buttholes vs Carboys - what would you rather talk about

OMG, the debate section is pointless because only members can use it and there are not enough active members to have a decent debate!

Addressing the OP:

I normally brew with buckets only. I have carboys, which I only use for extended bulk aging / with adjuncts, dry hopping. I experience none of your issues with buckets.

1. I use the 7 gallon buckets from US Plastics. These have additional headspace over the normal "ale pail," and I experience no foamup / out with these. They are easily cleaned with good 'ol Dawn dishwashing liquid. The US Plastics lids have a neoprene 'O'- ring, so the lid forms an actual seal with the bucket.

2. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how a bucket is not easier to clean than a carboy.

3. I watched primary fermentation take place in my son's carboy once. That was enough "Brew TV" for me, and if I want more, there are about 500 YouTube videos showing it.

rico567 said:
Addressing the OP:

I normally brew with buckets only. I have carboys, which I only use for extended bulk aging / with adjuncts, dry hopping. I experience none of your issues with buckets.

1. I use the 7 gallon buckets from US Plastics. These have additional headspace over the normal "ale pail," and I experience no foamup / out with these. They are easily cleaned with good 'ol Dawn dishwashing liquid. The US Plastics lids have a neoprene 'O'- ring, so the lid forms an actual seal with the bucket.

2. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how a bucket is not easier to clean than a carboy.

3. I watched primary fermentation take place in my son's carboy once. That was enough "Brew TV" for me, and if I want more, there are about 500 YouTube videos showing it.

Those buckets you've got sound nice. Unfortunately I don't have those at my disposal, and am certainly not going to pay to have them shipped unless they clean themselves. (Do they?) The reason I say that carboys are easier to clean is, I put in a scoop of oxiclean, fill er up with water, and the next day I swish a carboy brush in there and dump the water out, although even the brushing is unnecessary at that point. With the buckets, ive got my arms in there's, making sure to get in the corners and the flashing which seems to harbor scuzz. Then the lid is a separate matter.

And I still enjoy watching fermentation. The whole brewing process is really enjoyable for me, not just the end result.

LVBen said:
OMG, the debate section is ****ing idiotic because only members can use it and there are not enough active members to have a decent debate!

Now now, no need to be rude. Honestly even if there were more debatees, it would still be kind of bland because most of the blokes have the same viewpoints anyway.

neither

15gallon.jpg

Not mine I think its Edworts... I use a much larger tub with mine so almost all of the jug or up to the wort is under water

springer said:
neither

Not mine I think its Edworts... I use a much larger tub with mine so almost all of the jug or up to the wort is under water

That things cool, although it has more empty head space than my ex-wife. I thought the venerable Edwort used carboys though... maybe only for apfelwein

Those buckets you've got sound nice. Unfortunately I don't have those at my disposal, and am certainly not going to pay to have them shipped unless they clean themselves. (Do they?) The reason I say that carboys are easier to clean is, I put in a scoop of oxiclean, fill er up with water, and the next day I swish a carboy brush in there and dump the water out, although even the brushing is unnecessary at that point. With the buckets, ive got my arms in there's, making sure to get in the corners and the flashing which seems to harbor scuzz. Then the lid is a separate matter.

And I still enjoy watching fermentation. The whole brewing process is really enjoyable for me, not just the end result.

I put a small scoop of oxi in a bucket and fill it with hot water. Couple of hours later I pour it out and wipe with a washcloth. No swishing required.

Also, though I keep forgetting to try it, I have some plastic bags that can be placed in a bucket during fermentation. When you get done racking, simply pull out the liner and toss away.

As far as the lids, that is one thing that *can* be trouble to clean. I've put them in the dishwasher before, but lately I've found some Ropack lids that are smooth in the inside and make cleaning a breeze.

I like buckets because they are light cheap and easy to get stuff in/out of. I'd really like to find some 6-6.5 gallon buckets or bigger for a decent price. I'd probably buy half a dozen or more. I can put grometa for airlocks in myself

flyfisherwes said:
I like buckets because they are light cheap and easy to get stuff in/out of. I'd really like to find some 6-6.5 gallon buckets or bigger for a decent price. I'd probably buy half a dozen or more. I can put grometa for airlocks in myself

I recently bought some 6 gallon buckets online. After buying lids and paying for shipping the total was $42 for 3 buckets and 3 lids. I've got 2 of them filled with last weeks porter right now.

The company was BayTec Containers. Posting on my phone now, but if you need a link let me know and I can post one later today.

@ milldoggy

How big is that thing? How much do you pay for those bad boys? My in-laws are in Pottstown, so I find myself down that way pretty often. I would murder for something along those lines for bigger batches. Let me know if you could lay your hands on any spares.

Thanks!

eh. i mean, if they held soap its not like they were dirty right? (i'm not saying they did, they just look like the ones i've seen).

That's neat and all, but it sure seems like a lot of air if you use them for a secondary.

whats a secondary ? :D .I go from primary right to keg after about 14 days been doing this way for about 3 years

where do you get these??

USPlastics has them . I get mine from the LBS they use them for liquid extract

superslomo said:
@ milldoggy

How big is that thing? How much do you pay for those bad boys? My in-laws are in Pottstown, so I find myself down that way pretty often. I would murder for something along those lines for bigger batches. Let me know if you could lay your hands on any spares.

Thanks!

They are 15 gallons I think. They were used at a farm, not sure what was in them. The guy has a ad on reading craiglist, he is on 724 just south of the exit off 422

Shoot, I'm looking at reading craigslist and I'm not sure where this is listed. I've looked in farm equipment, and searched for "15" and "15 gallon" but I might be missing something.

I'd guess probably a water tank?

rycov said:

My guess is pesti-cider. It seems like too small a vessel for any other kind of agricultural use. In fact come to think of it, I've seen these mounted on the back of tractors, pressurized and spraying sulfur in the vineyards where I live.

Latest posts

Back