Bubble Gum yeast - Long Strange Tripel Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
Boulevard's Long Strange Tripel. Great beer. Has a strong bubble gum character. Curious which yeasts lend themselves to this.

I got a strong bubble gum flavor / aroma from an Orval trappist ale that was about 5 years old.... interesting....subscribed....

1214 and 3787 can throw bubblegum flavors if fermented warm.

I Brew Like a Monk there are a couple of good tables that list the flavor each yeast give when fermented at different temps. Ver good info in that book if you like to brew Belgians. My copy is pretty dogeared.

I got total bubblegum from WLP500. I used it because I was hoping for "stone fruit", and "plum" but fermented it cool-ish (66 degrees) and got bubblegum and bubblegum only. It was a decent triple, but I really wanted plum!

1214 and 3787 can throw bubblegum flavors if fermented warm.

I Brew Like a Monk there are a couple of good tables that list the flavor each yeast give when fermented at different temps. Ver good info in that book if you like to brew Belgians. My copy is pretty dogeared.

Looks like 1214 = WLP500, which is what Yooper suggested as well. When you say, "warm" what do you mean? My concern is that if they're the same, that it's a one note beer. Oh well. At 9% ABV, have another and i'm sure it won't be a bother.

Looks like 1214 = WLP500, which is what Yooper suggested as well. When you say, "warm" what do you mean? My concern is that if they're the same, that it's a one note beer. Oh well. At 9% ABV, have another and i'm sure it won't be a bother.

I like to pitch in the mid 60's and then keep it there for a day or two and then ramp up the temp to the mid 70's.

With 1214 Bubblegum is not all you get. I also get some fruitiness.

Maybe get your hands in a packet of coopers dry yeast. I brewed a coopers pale ale pre hopped extract kit a couple months ago just to see what it would make. I even let it ferment at room temp instead of throwing it in my chamber. All I can taste in that beer is bubble gum. I even dry hopped!

Normally for the bubblegum esters you need to ferment belgian yeasts at the top end of their tolerance, or even above. Cool temps will not help you with that character.

Latest posts

Back