Bubble............30 sec..............Bubble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerJoe

Reaction score
I'm new to this and have only done a couple of batches. The first batch was a kit and the second batch was All Grain using a mash tun and wort chiller.

On my first batch, in the primary I had tons of activity during days 2 and 3 and then pretty much nothing. On my current 2nd batch, I had good activity on day 2 and 3, and now it has slowed down to a set of bubbles every 30 seconds or so. This has been going on for 5 days now.. Is this common? I used a Kolsch liquid yeast, no starter. OG .059, Atlantic Amber Ale Clone.

I'm not overly worried, but was bored and just thouht I would ask. I'm sort of wondering if I should have used a starter which would have helped the yeast get it's job done a bit faster.

Regards, Joe

IMHO, anytime you use liquid yeast you should make a starter. However, that's in hindsight now. The only way to know for sure is to take a hydrometer reading then wait a few days and take another one.

Or it could be that you had a slightly better seal on your bucket lid last time. All an airlock can tell you is that co2 is escaping from that location. Nothing more.
Every fermentation can and will be different. They will act , look, and smell different for different periods of time. A hydrometer after the first week or two is the only way to "know" what's happening.

Okay, thanks.. I'll just be patient, give it a few more days and hopefully take a reading once it stops. I just never expected that activity would last for the better part of a week.

The temperature of the wort has a huge impact on how vigorous the ferment becomes. i use Nottingham occasionally and if I ferment it at room temp, it goes nuts but at 61-63 it goes at a rather sedate pace and will take most of a week to quit bubbling.

Stop looking at bubbles?

+2

Stop and go bubbles means......................Stop and go bubbles, NOT that anything is wrong with fermentation.

Airlock bubbling (or lack) and fermentation are not the same thing. You have to separate that from your mindset. Airlock bubbling can be a sign of fermentation, but not a good one, because the airlock will often blip or not blip for various other reasons...so it is a tenuous connection at best.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. If it bubbles it is because it needs to, if it doesn't, it just means it doesn't need too...

Your HYDROMETER is the only BEST indicator of fermentation activity. Nothing else is accurate or consistent...

Unless you take a gravity reading you don't know what's really going on, not by airlock bubbling or by krausen formation. Neither of those signs are effective, they don't tell you exactly where on the fermentation process you are.

The amount of krausen can vary for whatever reason, it can come quick and depart quickly or it can linger long after fermentation is complete, and it all be normal.

And airlocks sometimes bubble or they don't. And airlock is a valve, a vent to release excess co2...NOT a fermentation gauge. It's important to make that distinction, or you'll be panicking everytime a an airlock doesn't bubble, or stops bubbling.

Fermentation is not always "dynamic," just because you don't SEE anything happening, doesn't mean that any-thing's wrong,, and also doesn't mean that the yeast are still not working diligently away, doing what they've been doing for over 4,000 years.

That's why you need to take a gravity reading to know how your fermentation is going, NOT go by airlocks, or size of krausen, or a calendar, the horoscope or the phases of the moon (those things in my mind are equally accurate). :rolleyes:

The most important tool you can use is a hydrometer. It's the only way you will truly know when your beer is ready...airlock bubbles and other things are faulty.

The only way to truly know what is going on in your fermenter is with your hydrometer. Like I said here in my blog, which I encourage you to read, Think evaluation before action you sure as HELL wouldn't want a doctor to start cutting on you unless he used the proper diagnostic instuments like x-rays first, right? You wouldn't want him to just take a look in your eyes briefly and say "I'm cutting into your chest first thing in the morning." You would want them to use the right diagnostic tools before the slice and dice, right? You'd cry malpractice, I would hope, if they didn't say they were sending you for an MRI and other things before going in....

Fast fermentations/slow fermentations/big krausens/small krausens/bubbles starting and stopping, in the long run is really irrevelent....just that you have fermentation. Yeast don't normal normally die/stop fermenting/get tired, that's a premise new brewers believe, but it's not the truth. Yeast have been doing this for 4,000 years, and know how to ferment the beer, they WANT to ferment the beer, it's their entire purpose in life is to eat sugar, peer alcohol and fart co2 (along with some major screwing during the reproductive phase) especially modern 21st century yeast.

All those other things are really just superficial to the purpose at hand, if your yeast took off, unless you let the temp go down near 50, your yeast is still working happily away, despite what the supreficial signs like airlock may indicate.

First of all, I have a blow off tube installed, not an air lock, but either way it doesn't really matter.

Revvy, I completely understand everything that you are saying. With that said, don't you agree that "most" of the time if the blow-off tube or air lock is bubbing, it's a pretty good indication that the yeast isn't finished. But yes, even if it isn't bubbling, the yeast could still be working on the sugar. Right?

Unless someone tells me different, I don't see any reason to take a gravity reading after a week, especially since CO2 is causing the blow off tube to bubble..

There could be a little over 1 volume of CO2 dissolved in your beer, depending on how deep your blow off is sunk into your water. Fairly modest temperature changes can gas this off quite fast, making it look like fermentation. Bubbles literally mean nothing.

There could be a little over 1 volume of CO2 dissolved in your beer, depending on how deep your blow off is sunk into your water. Fairly modest temperature changes can gas this off quite fast, making it look like fermentation. Bubbles literally mean nothing.

hmmm.. okay, I guess I'll check and document gravity tomorrow...

Thanks..

If it's Wyeast 2565, my one experience with it took a full month for the krausen to drop. It's a slow yeast, but the results are well worth the wait. RDWHAHB.

Back