Brutus brass vs stainless asco valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Howdy folks,

I am finally ready to build a brutus system and have a couple questions for any sages of the Brutus who are so inclined to help a newbie out

Anyone out there have a valid reason for the SS asco instead of the brass ones? Is it cosmetic?

And I just moved to a house with a huge propane tank. I have always used the 20lb blue rhino or grill refillables to power my burners. Is there any difference in hooking my burners up to the larger home tank? (it powers our hot water heater) I am wondering if it is the same as the 20lb. the propane guys say it shouldn't change anything.

As far as the brass/SS choice goes, its all about looks. You'll get the same performance from either as long as you get the right valve for the brutus purpose.

I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure the pressure coming off of your house propane tank is low pressure. A 20lb itself puts out high pressure which is why you have to use a regulator.

As long as you get the correct burner and asco/solenoid valve (some have minimum pressure ratings to work) you should be ok.

Thanks Worthless, that makes more sense than what the propane guys were saying over the phone. I'll be sure to double check before I start purchasing parts.

Back