• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Nebraska Brutus 10(ish) Three vessel system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Minor_Threat

Reaction score
Hi there! I'm selling off my homebrew system as I am getting into commercial brewing. The craigslist link below:

http://omaha.craigslist.org/for/5499180487.html

I am in Lincoln Nebraska but have a Dodge Sprinter Delivery van and can meet within a 500 mile radius of Lincoln for an agreed upon additional price. Also for HBT members I'll sell the unit for $1,250.

Up for sale is an automated Brutus 10 inspired single tier homebrewing stand. This stand has been used constantly for the past two years and was approx $3,000 to build. I am moving into a professional brewing position and no longer will need my home brew equipment. The features of this brew stand are as follows

-Frame is bolted to a pressure treated lumber stand and large 500lb casters for easy moving
-Frame has been re-painted recently but shows signs of burn off on the upper area as gas fired frames do
-Control Panel features: 2 programmable PIDs attached thermocouples run to Hot Liquor Tank and Mash/Lauter Tun; HLT and MLT Gas on/off switches and HLT/MLT Pump on/off switched for easy manual control when not automated recirculating; Panic "off button (missing mushroom but functional) and Key set On/Off
-HLT features, Converted keg with SS ball valve, thermowell, blichmann brewmometer and sight gauge
-MLT features: Converted keg with SS ball valve, thermowell, blichmann brewmometer and sight gauge, SS Pico Style false bottom
-Boil Kettle Features: Converted keg with SS ball valve, brewing thermometer and sight gauge, Hop filter on pick up tube and Recirculating/whirlpool inlet with ball valve and 45 degree whirlpool arm.
-Two march 809 pumps, one Poly one Stainless
-3-23 tip jet burners set up for propane to direct fire HLT, MLT and BK

This system is great for 5gal-12.5 gal batched and a very consistent efficiency (dependent on crush and other factors but the results are easily repeatable/consistent). I am averaging approx 86% brewhouse efficiency with a one hour sparge. This rig is based on the Brutus 10 concept that constantly recirculating both the mash and hot liquor with a temp sensor close to the hottest part of the kettle (the direct fired bottom in this case) will lead to a less stratified temperature and clear wort. With the direct fired MLT it shaves a load of time from your brew day as you can fire the HLT and MLT at the same time usually getting to strike temp in 15-20 min dependent on volume

This brew stand is not without some nuances/quirks that mainly have to do with having a large enough propane tank to supply the burners when 2-3 are working at the same time. 20lb tanks work but will ice up and cause a low flow to the burner (carbon build up/inefficient flame) but a 40-100lb tank will keep the burners happy and hot...real hot. The thermowells are consistently a few degrees cooler than the calibrated probe thermometers to it takes some experience to undershoot the PID to hit the probe temp but it is a fairly negligible difference. It took me a few batches to adjust from a 10gal herms system to this but I have been very happy with the consistency and end results.

This rig does show some use but that's because it was lovingly used often. I have around 100 batches made on this system and have made modifications along the way to get the system to work its best. Email text or call for more pictures or to set up a time to have a look at the unit. I am happy to deliver within 150 miles of Lincoln (with $150 paypal deposit to be deducted from sale price) as I have a vehicle that is easy to load/unload this large stand. This sale is cash or Paypal gifted funds only

Cheers!

00N0N_dAbMLKFWPUt_600x450.jpg

00c0c_1XeCJrqj0Qv_600x450.jpg

00T0T_8kXkpvYdktg_600x450.jpg

Back