Brut ipa adjunct max?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemci

Reaction score
I wonder everyone's thoughts as to what is the maximum of flaked corn, oats, rice that should be put into a brut ipa. In all previous beers(brut and non brut), that I have used no more than a pound. I use amalaze in the mash only. Thanks in advance.

You could conceivably put 100% adjuncts into a mash if you add sufficient amylase and/or glucoamylase enzyme to the mash, but then I don't think you could legitimately call it beer if it had no barley. If you just use amylase, and the starch in the adjuncts has any amylopectin (branched starch), then you will have some dextrins in your wort which will not ferment, resulting in a higher FG. Barley does have amylopectin, so barley wort will always contain dextrins, unless you add glucoamylase. Use of glucoamylase can reduce all dextrins to fermentable sugars, and result in the lowest possible FG.

Why do you add enzymes only to the mash? Glucoamylase also works well in the fermenter.

Brew on :mug:

I have only done 1 brut and I heard fermenter additions create a lot diacetyl. I will put it in the fermenter maybe next time around. Just trying the safer approach first. That was a great answer, just technical enough for me. Next time I'm going to use 60 % pils, 30% flaked corn, 5 rolled oats and 5 golden baked oats. My hop routine was, and will be again, Belma tahoma and mosaic, whole leaf put into a ninja blender. Flame out and 180 whirl. Fermentation hop and keg hop

I haven't seen anything about enzymes in the fermenter creating diacetyl. Do you have any references? I have only done one brut, and used glucoamylase in the fermenter only. Finished at 0.996, and none of the tasters mentioned diacetyl.

I just read it in the last byo magazine. The one with bells brewing on the front. It has brut ipa advice from a few pro brewers

Back