Bru'n Water Grain classifications

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice

Reaction score
I'm a new convert to Bru'n water and after working with it for a little bit, I have gotten the hang of it. I have been searching for some direction of grain classifications without luck. It is pretty easy to classify 2-row as base grain and C40 as a crystal. Where I am running into some confusion are the "others" such as CaraPils - should it be a base? it has no diastatic power, so should it go in as a crystal? How about Munich? Melanoiden, CaraFoam, etc....?

Pretty much anything with Cara- in the front is a kilned caramel malt - so set as a Crystal in Bru'n. It treats both Caramels and Crystal malts the same.

Munich - some light Munich can be treated as a base malt, but the darker Munichs seems to be more along the lines of a 10L/20L crystal - so I would research your malt supply to find out. I tend to put dark Munich as Crystal, but have been meaning to ask.

CaraMunich and CaraVienne, CaraFoam, CaraPils are treated as crystal, as is Melanoiden.

Pretty much anything with Cara- in the front is a kilned caramel malt - so set as a Crystal in Bru'n. It treats both Caramels and Crystal malts the same.

Munich - some light Munich can be treated as a base malt, but the darker Munichs seems to be more along the lines of a 10L/20L crystal - so I would research your malt supply to find out. I tend to put dark Munich as Crystal, but have been meaning to ask.

CaraMunich and CaraVienne, CaraFoam, CaraPils are treated as crystal, as is Melanoiden.
This just answered my question with bru'nwater. Pale 2 row, caraform,caraaroma, and melanoiden are in recipe and I'm trying to figure out if they are base,acid,roast,crystal. Lol glad I found this

I wonder if @mabrungard agrees. I am not sure I see the same impact to pH from malts like Munich as I do from Crystal. The paid version of the sheet adds in a "Wheat/Oats" option as well, but it is a little confusing how mid colored-malts like Munich, Melanoidin, Biscuit, Aromatic, Victory, Amber, Special Roast, etc. should be entered. The instruction sheet says to enter grain of 180L or lower as either Base or Crystal. I have not been using Bru'n Water much lately, but I treated these as Base Malt.

As a comparison, I note that BrewFather categorizes Munich (even Munich II) as base, but melanoidin and cara malts as crystal/caramel. Using the wheat option in the paid version of Bru'nwater is very important to get the right pH for wheat beers.

Back