BruControl: Brewery control & automation software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there a practical limit on concurent pin use on a Mega?
I would suspect that digital out control signals may be a limiting factor. I have search the internet and could Not find limit

There are some bank limits IIRC. I can try to find it. If you can keep each pin to less than 15mA you should be ok. On the UniShield, there is no concern because the input current to the drivers is at the micro-amp level.

How are others doing their rims return to the mash tun? I just bought a stout MT. It has a triclamp fitting on both outside and inside in the top of the vessel. They sell a triclamp tube with holes in it for recirc and sparge, but I read that it will clog if you recirc the mash through it. Sparging is fine.

How are others doing their rims return to the mash tun? I just bought a stout MT. It has a triclamp fitting on both outside and inside in the top of the vessel. They sell a triclamp tube with holes in it for recirc and sparge, but I read that it will clog if you recirc the mash through it. Sparging is fine.
MT drain valve out -> flow meter -> DC recirc pump -> RIM's Tube (vertical) -> MT In (top bulkhead via TC) -> MT inside bulkhead: Loc-Line adjusted just below surface. I don't use any type of filter in the RIM's recirc loop, everything is 1/2" straight through.

Any recommendation on flowmeters for rims and sparge? I looked at the plastic adafruit one, but it is out of stock. There are a lot on Amazon, but it is not clear what you are getting and what the materials are. A lot of them seem to be for fuel filling applications.

Love these. You can find some cheaper. BUT... check the fittings needed - they are often proprietary adapters for extra $$ and take up length. Also, check the output matches what you need. I wanted to use on my personal rig but the resolution at low flow was too low... cant get an effective measurement at fly sparge rates ~ 1 qpm.

Only issue I see with a strainer is the dead volume it contains. It’s ultimately lost unless you sparge through it too.
I move the Wort from the MLT to the Brew Kettle through the filter. Not much left. My MLT is now bottom drain so I no longer have the 1.26 gal dead space. We normally brew 22 to 27 gal batches so that loss in not an issue. We used to take all the dead space into consideration, flushing when we could. We have a fixed manifold that we also flush. We simply added grain and volume to get the desired final fermentor volume.

I use the IFM SM6004 series which can be found for <$50 fairly easily. Main difference is 4-20ma outputs instead of pulse. Wetted parts are 316 SS, PEEK, and FKM, all of which have temp ratings well over 200F, so I'm guessing the media temperature rating has more to do with the electronics. To try and allow the most heat shedding possible, I mounted the sensors in the best free air space I could find. All that said, I run them on my HLT, MLT, and kettle and have pushed and sustained temps up well over 200F with no issues.

I still have issues with Elements resizing on their own. I just happen to notice that the little move dot trianges in the bottom right of the Element were there even though the workspace wqas locked, I unlocked and relocked, and the move widget disappeared as it was supposed to, This is the first time I noticed this.

unfortunately not. If it happens again I will take a screen shot. This is a replicate of what I saw: I could resize while locked
error on size.png

Does anyone have a high/low alarm script for FV hysteresis? Wanting it to be compatible with on the fly changes to set point.

Just opened BruControl. Did not use the Lock or Unlock at the top. It was locked, I ran a few scripts (starting ones) and I noticed the little resize widget were on all the Elements) Once again, unlocked and relocked and issue gone. I closed BruControl. I opened BruControl and the Widgets once again (no scripts run) were there even though it was locked. This was version 1.1 Build 22 . I will now Open BruConrol and toggle the Lock Icon fcrom now on.

Attachments

• resize error.png
    resize error.png
    445.1 KB · Views: 15
  • resize 2.png
    resize 2.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 15
@oakbarn @BrunDog I observe the same thing. If you lock the workspace, close BruControl, then start BruControl, the workspace will still be locked when the software launches but the elements are able to be resized via mouse in the bottom right corner of the element. If you unlock then relock the workspace, the ability to resize will go away as intended.

@oakbarn @BrunDog I observe the same thing. If you lock the workspace, close BruControl, then start BruControl, the workspace will still be locked when the software launches but the elements are able to be resized via mouse in the bottom right corner of the element. If you unlock then relock the workspace, the ability to resize will go away as intended.
This may be a cuase of all the resizing issues I have been having regarding when I am working on the workspaces, It may have been that I was resizing Elements when it was locked and I was not paying attention. I have my resize to 1 x 1 when I am building.

unfortunately not. If it happens again I will take a screen shot. This is a replicate of what I saw: I could resize while lockedView attachment 754206

Hi all,

@BrunDog
My setup is to start BC after reboot. So if login to terminal session of my PC, after the restart, I have the same issue, always.

Check this video:

If you unlock/lock it disappears.

cheers evryone

Has anyone tried interfacing a Coriolis flow meter via Profibus DP and the mega unishield? Asking for a friend..

I did it via modbus and node red....
Thanks for the reply! Unfortunately I believe my meter can only output via Profibus DP (Endress+Hauser promass 83M). I've never worked with PLCs so I was just curious if anyone knew of any software that can run on a virtual machine that could simulate the communication protocol so I would be able to read the meter without getting an actual PLC? I see that there is a beta node red for Profibus DP, but it looks like i would still need a Siemens PLC and adapter to communicate. I appreciate the feedback.
Thanks

Profibus runs on RS485 - the physical connection can be made via a shield, but I don't know about the communication layer, especially if it needs to be a master. There are multiple videos / project reviews online, but I didn't dig in to see what it would take.

I'm not familiar with Endress+Hauser, but many sensors with *newer* busses have a fallback to modbus. You might poke around the manual for your specific model and see if that is an option. If you can output modbus, I can help you get it into node-red and thus BC (if you have the correct license).

Latest posts

Back