Bru Yeast Y4444 American Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rodwha

Reaction score
I got two 1 gallon IIPA kits that contained this yeast and figured I’d use them by combining the kits and adding some grains to make a 4.5 gal IPA. Does anyone know anything about this yeast? I’m looking for attenuation and flocculation info. Figure I’ll just make a small starter (1/2 of a quart saving a portion in case I like it).

It says this is some sort of Vermont yeast and I’m guessing it’s what used in Heady Topper as one kit is a clone.

Muntons? yuk. Muntons standard ale yeast is a beast but u may not like the flavors it creates. It is by far the worst dry yeast I have ever used in terms of flavor.

Muntons? yuk. Muntons standard ale yeast is a beast but u may not like the flavors it creates. It is by far the worst dry yeast I have ever used in terms of flavor.

I got identical yeast from 2 different kits. Speaking to someone at Northern Brewer about their Off The Topper Kit I was told it is US-05. However the Midwest Hop Monster kit states it comes with Muntons.

I’m considering putting the two packets together and seeing what I get in an Azacca pale ale but if Munton’s yeast tastes terrible I’m not so sure I want to try it. What makes it terrible? And could the temp have been the cause?

Back