Brownie Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

golfgod04

Reaction score
So I have seen several craft breweries using Brownie Mix in their stouts. I have thoroughly enjoyed them. My question, do you think they add for the entire 60 minute mash or half into the mash or end of the mash?

I can't imagine what benefit prolonged boiling of "brownie mix" would provide, so if the point is to convey "brownie" flavor, I'd bet it's a flame-out addition.

btw, there's a lot of fat in "brownie mix"...

Cheers!

Its what I dont like on instagram, breweries showed them using the brownie batter and to me it looked like in the mash but you couldnt tell. I know about the fat and will use maltodextrin to help with the body. Flame out would definitely make more sense to maintain that brownie flavor.

I suppose the mash vs boil addition issue could hinge on the flour content of the mix and whether there's the potential to convert that raw starch to something fermentable. That would favor adding it to the mash, but at the cost of having it ride through the full boil as well, which for sure is going to attenuate some of that brownie character.

Kind of a Hobson's Choice...

Cheers!

I'm going to add it last 10 minutes of the boil. I think because it's powder, I just want to get it dissolved. Whereas if it was actual brownies, I'd put them in the mash.

I'm going to add it last 10 minutes of the boil. I think because it's powder, I just want to get it dissolved. Whereas if it was actual brownies, I'd put them in the mash.

@golfgod04 How did this turn out? About to partake in some ridiculous Cake mix/brownie mix experiments and trying to figure out the best way. Am considering “whirlpooling” the mix in a BIAB at flameout as I’m chilling. Not sure if it will dissolve entirely or if I’ll be able to mitigate some trub by using a bag.

Back