Brown goo on the top of my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingoslo

Reaction score
Hello,

I have made a light beer. It has finished fermenting now, but it is still in my fermenter. At the end of the fermentation, a brown goo/cream started gathering on top of the beer. It is rocky and with some bubbles.

I have never seen this before in any of my beers.

What is this? and what should I do about it?

Thanks,
Marius

i would say its probaby just the krausen. depending on your fermentables you may have a layer on top or you may not. no worries just keep doing what your doing

Thanks, but shouldnt the krausen disappear as fermentation finishes?M

it doesnt always disappear. ive had plenty of brews where it stayed on top. if your real worried about it leave it for a couple more days but it will only go down very little if at all. the ingredients you used is what has caused this krausen to stay on top. if you duplicated the recipe, it would do the same thing.

Yeast, proteins, hop goop, trub. It's all harmless. If you don't like it, swirl the fermenter around a bit and it'll fall in. If fermentation isn't done yet, the krausen will come back.

Latest posts

Back