Brown Ale with wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericbw

Reaction score
I think the cold snap we have had this week is making me think of fall and winter. I'm not ready for pumpkin anything yet, though, so I'm doing a brown ale.

I had a lot of pilsner and white wheat malt on hand (Swaen), so I'm mixing up my usual brown ale recipe. The base is NoPo Nut Brown from Homebrew Exchange, except I use Willamette instead of Mt Hood AND this time I'm using US-05 because I have found that I don't love S-04. (I also think that the dry-hopping negates some of the aroma from the yeast anyway.)

I might dry hop with Willamette, since I have a lot on hand, and it's different than Cascade. I thought about adding some strong chai tea when it goes into the keg, but I feel like I should try a small batch before committing to it.

This will be the first time I have done this one in the fermentation chamber, and I never wrote down the temperature. But I make it in the fall, so I am guessing it was probably around 65-68 degrees without too much effort. This time, I'll set the fridge to 64 degrees.

Who has been using the Swaen grains? I made an outstanding saison this summer with them, and they are the cheapest grain at the local store. I usually prefer to use American/local ingredients (usually Briess because it's the biggest one out there), but so far I am digging these.

3 gallon batch
OG: 1.050
FG: 1.011-1.012

4.5 lbs pilsner
.5 lbs white wheat malt
6 oz Victory
6 oz Crystal 80
3 oz chocolate malt

.75 oz Willamette @ 60
.75 Willamette @ 15
.75 Cascade for 5-7 days

Ferment at 64 degrees

Looks tasty to me.

LHBS only has the 2L Swaen crystal, which I like.

As far as the tea, brew the beer as normal and try adding some strong steeped tea (one tea bag in an ounce of hot water) to a pour of the beer.

Looks tasty to me.

LHBS only has the 2L Swaen crystal, which I like.

As far as the tea, brew the beer as normal and try adding some strong steeped tea (one tea bag in an ounce of hot water) to a pour of the beer.

Great idea - then I'll know if I want to go bigger!

Back