Brown Ale w/ Honey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hoptopia

Reaction score
I recently made a brown ale and used a local honey to carbonate in a corny keg. I just tried it and it is extremely sweet, tastes like the honey didn't ferment all the way. I don't want it to be this sweet, if I have some yeast lying around I repitch to see if I can get rid of the sweetness, but I don't have any. I shook the corny up to hopefully get yeast to eat some more.... Any other suggestions?

My beer Alchemy app said to use about 1.13oz of honey per gallon.... I think I put about 4.5-5oz of honey in there....

I find that the longer you condition the bottles or keg for your sake, the more the flavor blends and dies-off. You might also consider adding your honey mid-boil and using sugar instead, it will give it a similar effect in terms of taste. I almost always use honey as my primer, and only a few times to I feel it is overpowering.

I have no idea what 1.13 oz looks like or how you accurately measure it, but I add 3 tablespoons per gallon (which is almost 3 times your amount) and I have never had an issue with taste or over carbonation. But I bottle so that sounds within reason for kegging. Did you dissolve the honey in water first?

I recently made a brown ale and used a local honey to carbonate in a corny keg. I just tried it and it is extremely sweet, tastes like the honey didn't ferment all the way.

how long of a time period was it between putting the honey in and tasting it?

I didn't dissolve it first maybe it all settled and when I took the first glass it blew all the honey from the bottom into my glass. I gave it a good shake today maybe I'll keep trying that to stir it up....

I would say to dissolve your honey in 1/4 cup of water...let it cool again, and toss it in...should help smooth it out

Back