Brown ale infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Here's a pic after 9 days fermenting. OG was 1.060 and FG was supposed to 1.019 (per beersmith). It was a partial mash so I mashed low at 150 since it had 4 lbs of DME.

FG was 1.014. Temp was set at 66 for the first 3 days then I ramped up slowly to 68.

I used wyeast 1068 esb .

Doesn't taste horrible, just a little fruity.

What do you think?

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1453495207.036570.jpg

I don't think so. If it gets a lot more filmy, post back, as of now it could be some minor oily residue form one thing or another, not sure. But I've had a similar thing and no ill effects or infection ever turned up.

Yeah, I was worried about that powdery-like stuff as well along with the oil slick that "broke up" when I put in my hydrometer.

I usually do IPAs with wyeast 1056 and don't usually see anything but a few bubbles when finished. Would the English yeast cause something like this?

Looks fine to me. The powdery lookin stuff probably just fell of the side of the bucket dried turb. Also you might want to get a flask for your hydrometer so you don't infect the whole batch when you check your sg

Looks fine to me. Like Elkobrewer said though, a hydrometer flask is a great option and reduces the risk of infection.

So far it looks good. Let the yeast clean up after itself in order to get rid of the fruity taste.

Back