brown ale first 5 gallon ext brew HELP

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th3NvS

Reaction score
I brewed a five gallon batch with specialty grains less than two pounds. When i racked it to its secondary i bottled the last bit in a half liter with about 1/4 cup of priming sugar. Two weeks later i tried the bottled one and it was very winey. It had allot of sediment and I'm not sure about my sugar yet. Any ideas on why it was winey?

Thanks

Awesome thank you so much. I just started with priming sugar i was using simple table sugar and such with Mr Beer kit before. Can you possibly explain that calculator to me one time?
Thanks again

When yeast ferments table sugar it tends to produce something of a cidery flavor. With typical priming quantities (about a .5 to .75 cups per 5gallon batch) you don't really notice it at all. However, you put way too much priming sugar in for such a small amount. This can actually be dangerous because if you put too much in there, the yeast will create too much CO2, which will make your bottles explode (often referred to here as "bottle bombs" for obvious reasons). Try to stick to either what the recipe says to use, or use one of the priming sugar calculators such as the one suggested to avoid any problems. Good luck!

Back