Broken Thermometer Follow-Up Questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadan

Reaction score
Last night I brewed my first batch of beer. While cooling the wort and measuring the temperature, the tip of the floating thermometer hit my spoon and snapped off. The wort had almost reached the temperature I wanted to pitch my yeast into so I went ahead and carefully poured the wort into the carboy. I figured the glass would sink to the bottom of the pot and I just didn't pour out the last few ounces of wort. In the remaining wort, I found the glass tip and a couple dozen of the steel shot from the bottom of the thermometer. I am fairly certain that none of the glass or shot transferred to the carboy.

I then quickly jumped on this site to see what I could find. I found several threads discussing the subject with about a 50/50 mix of responses on whether to keep the beer or throw it out. For those deciding to keep the batch brewing, it was suggested to use a paint straining bag when I bottle from my primary. I'm going to try to keep mine and will stay well off the bottom when I bottle. After reading these threads I still have a few questions:

1. Which end of my racking cane will I attach the straining bag and what should I use to attach it?

2. I am assuming I will need to sanitize the bag before I use it?

3. After reading through the other threads I've learned the lesson regarding how careless I was and that there are options other than the glass floating thermometer. What do you think of this one as a replacement http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/brewing-equipment/testing-measuring/thermometers/proaccurate-digital-thermometer.html?

4. I heard the horror stories and the discussion on whether to keep it or throw it out but I didn't read any follow-up stories on what the results were. I'm assuming no one ended up in the hospital with shredded intestines but just wondered how these stories ended.

If that was a mercury thermometer I would unfortunately dump it. I have a long metal thermometer I got for my kettle. It goes from 0 - 400 degrees. It doesn't break. I recommend getting one.

+1; if its mercury toss it. If its not, then you'll be OK. If you're not sure, toss it. There's no reason to ingest mercury in any quantity.

None of the liquid from the thermometer went into the wort, only the glass tip and some of the steel shot at the bottom of the thermometer. I don't think any of this transferred to the carboy but remained in the brew pot after the wort was transferred.

My understanding is that the liquid in food grade thermometers is no longer mercury.

I had the same thing happen in one of my recent beers. Pretty much all of the BB's fell out, the glass broke into a bunch of pieces because I was stirring for a while before I noticed it. The only difference is I racked from the brewpot to my bucket and left some wort and all of the trub behind. I tried to filter it through a coffee filter but it got all gunked up and I couldn't get a siphon going. Just as you did, I pitched the yeast and fretted for several weeks over what to do.

In the end I took a fine mesh nylon bag and kind of doubled it over the end of the racking cane that went in the fermenter and rubber-banded it to the fermenter. Then I racked like normal and the beer flowed surprisingly well through the siphon. Yes, it would be best to sanitize the bag and anything else that touches the beer.

I have had at least a dozen of them since bottling and haven't died yet :D Glass is more dense than water and beer so it would sink to the bottom unless disturbed. Also, in the fermenter the glass should be buried underneath the yeast cake so I tried not to disturb it too much.

I replaced my thermometer with this one and have been pretty happy with it:
http://www.midwestsupplies.com/products/ProdByID.aspx?ProdID=5009

I don't think anybody will be able to tell you 100% if it's safe or not, you just have to decide if you're comfortable with it. I have read that the BB's are steel and not lead, which they were in my case, but you might want to test with a magnet to be sure. Steel will be attracted to the magnet, lead will not. I have also read that the wax in the floating thermometers is non-toxic, but it may vary by manufacturer.

Good luck :rockin:

If it was a food grade themo then there is no mercury in it I don't even think they make thermometers with mercury in them anymore. The glass will settle to the bottom If yeast that weigh almost nothing do then why wouldn't the glass.

Back