Broken hydrometer, noobie operator, or watery brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Focal

Reaction score
So my first brew, a Midwest Sierra Pale Ale, has been in primary for just over a week, and since I forgot to check the gravity when I put it in the fermenter, I thought I'd check it now, since bubbling has more or less stopped in the airlock.

Gravity reading was 0.006, which I thought seems low. SG for the kit should be between 1.042-1.046 and FG should be 1.010-1.012. I tasted the sample I used for the reading (not supposed to add it back in I know), and it tastes more or less like flat beer, but a little watered down.

Skeptical, I checked the hydrometer in plain water, and it read 0.994, which is .006 low, so if I add .006 to my reading for the beer it would be 1.012.

Any ideas? I plan to check it again in 3 days, as per everyone's recommendations, but should I be worried about my beer, my hydrometer, my eyesight, or just RDWHAHB?

Thanks for the advice guys. Since I just got the hydrometer with my kit right before I brewed, should I call Midwest to see about sending it back, or am I just out of luck and need to order a new one?

Also, no homebrews to enjoy, but I did pick up some Anchor Steam, Bell's Oberon, and a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout at the store today, so I will relax with one of those.

I'd use distilled water AT the temp that the hydro is calibrated (68* is common). Then note the amount that it is off, and write it on the cover :)

stupid question but was the water at 60 degrees or whatever your hydrometor is calibrated for?

The water was at *room* temp, which felt about the same as my fermentation tank, which is 69, and it is calibrated at 68, so I figured that was close enough. It says it only changes .001 when going down to 59 degrees.

Back