Broken carboy, six gallons lost...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joe_brewer

Reaction score
Spent the day doing my first 10 gallon batch or Hefe, as I was trying to even out the batches to be about 5 gallons in the carboy and 5 gallons in the bucket, carboy came out of the carrier and shattered leaving my 10 gallon batch, 6 gallons light...

Spent the day doing my first 10 gallon batch or Hefe, as I was trying to even out the batches to be about 5 gallons in the carboy and 5 gallons in the bucket, carboy came out of the carrier and shattered leaving my 10 gallon batch, 6 gallons light...

I had nearly the exact same thing happen. 10 gallons of saison, first 10 gallon batch. 6.5 gallon carboy that had been used once. Was moving into my "fermentation chamber" (my crawl space). There is about 1/2" drop from the basement laminate to the soft concrete on the crawl space floor, and it was being handed in to me. Must have hit the sweet spot, because we didn't drop or anything. Sickening slow crack, and the bottom falls out. 6 gallons of sweet wort rushing into my crawl space.

That really blew. I might have given up on carboys at that point if I didn't have so many of them....

Sorry for your luck. Chances are, it won't happen again (at least not the same way...)

Back