Broken Bines (Dumb Dog)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJinJacksonville

Reaction score
My 100 pound German Shepherd 'puppy' decided to pretend he was at a greyhound track this morning while I was removing bines from the frame of my roof (I had twine run through hooks on the eaves; we are getting gutters installed later today). As I was giving the bines slack so I could move them, he zipped past me and snapped one of the bines right in half. The twine was probably about 8' from ground to roof, so I have a four foot section now that is not connected to the ground.

I removed the cones that had formed; it is obviously early but they smell great, bounce back when squeezed, etc. I will dry them out for storage, but my question is this: are the remainder of the upper bines that separated from the lower/root system completely worthless now? Should I just throw them in the yard waste bucket? Is there any chance of salvaging that type of situation?

Thanks for any advice/feedback. The dog's been thoroughly warned.

My 100 pound German Shepherd 'puppy' decided to pretend he was at a greyhound track this morning while I was removing bines from the frame of my roof (I had twine run through hooks on the eaves; we are getting gutters installed later today). As I was giving the bines slack so I could move them, he zipped past me and snapped one of the bines right in half. The twine was probably about 8' from ground to roof, so I have a four foot section now that is not connected to the ground.

I removed the cones that had formed; it is obviously early but they smell great, bounce back when squeezed, etc. I will dry them out for storage, but my question is this: are the remainder of the upper bines that separated from the lower/root system completely worthless now? Should I just throw them in the yard waste bucket? Is there any chance of salvaging that type of situation?

Thanks for any advice/feedback. The dog's been thoroughly warned.

Ahh, don't be too hard on the "puppy" as it sounds he was just being playful and having fun. He didn't know...... Hop plants will grow back and time spent with your "puppy" will produce fun memories like this one you just described!

As for the bines, why not try and get some rooting hormone and see if they will root?

Assumption is that you already know this since you have them high up? But hops are poisonous to dogs.

This is just more me thinking out loud, but I have to remind myself every once in awhile that the expectations that I have for my dog are oftentimes way too high. I want him to behave more often, not do this, (be more like his older sister that I lost 2 years ago) not do that...and all he wants is to be a dog and be loved..and referencing my profile pic...drink beer...even if only a little..c'mon!!

Assumption is that you already know this since you have them high up? But hops are poisonous to dogs.

This is just more me thinking out loud, but I have to remind myself every once in awhile that the expectations that I have for my dog are oftentimes way too high. I want him to behave more often, not do this, (be more like his older sister that I lost 2 years ago) not do that...and all he wants is to be a dog and be loved..and referencing my profile pic...drink beer...even if only a little..c'mon!!

Cute dog!

I'm not sure if your post was directed toward me. If so, yes, I know hops are poisonous to dogs ingesting them. I thought a happy dog running through and breaking the bines is a funny memorable moment as the dog was just being playful.

Yep, I'm a dog lover....have four right now with my youngest (the brightest of them all) highly trained. Matter-of-fact, she passed her AKC Canine Good Citizen's test last Fall and was going to take the Partner's Dog Therapy test back in January, but I decided to delay it. Then the COVID-19 came and shut everything down. So, we train more and beyond the Dog Therapy training. We are now working at a long distance off leash and with hand signals/commands.

Not directed at you at all, again just typing out loud after I read your post. At the time, I was watching my dog roll around on his back generally just being his goofy self, yet recalling how generally aggravated I was at him last night because despite all the training I've done with him, he insists on pulling on his leash. The sister I referred to wasn't really his sister, just my term of endearment. I was able to walk with her off leash wherever I wanted with instant recall around the time that she was 1.5 years old. He is 7...

and I actually meant to put this in my response, but a friend of mine had a similar catastrophe and he did the growth hormone thing. It was about 50% effective where one kinda sorta recovered and the other absolutely did not.

Good idea on the growth hormone. I'll give that a shot. And don't get me wrong...I love the guy to death. Just his timing today...impeccable.

Aside from that, he avoids the bines generally, and I have that area screened off to prevent other pests from getting to the hops...so in that poison regard...we're good.

Latest posts

Back