Broke my hydrometer and bottled too soon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uturnrob

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Been brewing for 20 + years and I have a question for the experts. My Hydrometer broke and I bottled a stout without measuring the FG. It was bottled on 12-06-15 and I opened a bottle last night and it was all foam. I caught the foam and let it settle and it's at 1.023. I believe the OG with the refractometer was around 1.06 back in early November. I need to start taking better notes. I see two options, let it sit and count the broken bottles or possibly clean everything very well, empty them back into the fermentor and let it sit for a while. I brewed a 10 gallon batch and kegged 1/2 and bottled the other half and the keg is delicious.

Thoughts?

Keep it Cool and carry on.

There's a safety issue to be addressed but if you were to ignore that (don't ignore the safety issues) then keep the beer cold and then at drinking time decant into a pitcher and let the beer settle and come up to a better drinking temperature. And I would drink this batch sooner rather than later.

Three weeks and a few more days in the primary? Should have finished the beer unless the temp was very low for the yeast used.
Is it possible the foaming bottle was from infection, or over carbonation, and not from an incomplete fermentation being bottled?
Chill a couple more bottles for a few days to see if the results are the same. If you numbered the first few, and last few bottles filled, select one of each. This will be a check of the priming solution not being mixed throughout the bottling bucket.

thanks for the input, didn't number the bottles and it could be over carbonation but I doubt it. Been doing it the same way for a long time. Either way, whether it was over carbonation or early bottling it would still point to to much fermentable sugars in the bottles. Opened another one last night with similar results. Gonna just let it ride and drink em

Back