Broke hydrometer, need O.G.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
So last night I brewed an IPA. After I sanitized my hydrometer it slipped out my hand onto the floor. Can someone with brewing software please help me figure out my O.G.? I used 6.6 lbs. of light LME, 1 lbs. of light DME and 10 oz. of dextrose. Also if it makes any difference my hop schedule was 1 oz. magnum at 60, .5 oz citra at 20,.5 oz. citra at 15, .5 oz. citra at 10, .5 oz. citra at 5 and 1 oz. citra at flame out. If any one could help me out I would greatly appreciate it! Oh yeah , I also steeped 12 oz. of crystal 60 for about 20 min.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

How much liquid remained after the boil? 5g batch?

DME gives about 44 ppg
LME 36-37 or so
Dextrose 46.

If you have a 5g batch, you're looking at:
244.2 points from the LME (37x6.6lbs)
44 from DME
28.75 from the dextrose (using 10oz is .625lbs x 46)

Total 316.95 gravity points. Divide by 5 gallons is 63.39, so I'd expect an OG of 1.063 or so.

[edit: I ignored the C60]

I topped off with a gallon of water. Thanks for your help! Does the recipe look good to you otherwise? With the hop additions?

you could always save a sample to test when you get a new one unless youve already pitched. Ive had to do this before

Just went through the same thing. I kept a sample and tested after the replacement hydrometer arrived. Don't forget to record in the broken hydrometer thread.

I'll remember that. Definitely picking up a spare to have just in case.

Back