Brittle bottles!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IcaBrew

Reaction score
As I'm cooking up my 3rd batch I am enjoying my 2nd batch. However, in the past 8 bottles I have had 2 now that have broke when I opened them. The entire top of the bottle has broke of when I tryed to open it. Something I did wrong? Or bad batch of bottles? It should be noted that I put a 12 back in the freezer for 30 min in order to chill before people came over... Any thoughts? Thanks for the input.

Say that ten times fast (Brittle Bottles)! :D

Sorry to hear it.

Could be the thermal shock from the freezer, but I dunno. Try opening them more carefully, maybe your opener is pressing on the side of the neck? I am not sure, just throwing out ideas.

were they sam adams bottles by any chance? i had that happen numerous times recently...all sam adams bottles though.....I open them a lot more careful now!!!

were they sam adams bottles by any chance? i had that happen numerous times recently...all sam adams bottles though.....I open them a lot more careful now!!!

Sam Adams recently had a recall because of this problem, so you may have these bottles. It was only certain bottles from a certain plant, but you may have gotten some of those.

that sux with the sam adams bottles....i have quite a few that i have been using and this just started happening. I also have plenty of sierra nevada bottles that never ever have a problem!!! Ill just start collecting more of those and phase my old sam adams bottles out.

When I was using one of those wing capper I had that problem. I think that if you really crank down on it it may score or just weaken the top of the bottle. Now that I only use a bench type capper when bottling I have not had the problem.

They were'nt Sam Adams, although I just cleaned the labels off of at least a case for my next batch... Sounds like I'm not the only one to have this problem so I'll just chalk it up to bad luck or bad bottles. Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back