Bringing homebrewing up in a job interview

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's my new interview game! See how long the applicant will talk if I just stone face them the whole time!! Then I'll ask them if they want a cup of special coffee...

sure, I'd love one, as long as it takes more than 7 minutes to brew it, or fly the beans in from the WRONG coast!

ahh, christ. I have only perused the first page, but, I mention it all the time.

Although, it's because I *can* talk for more than a half an hour about the history (chemical, political, geo-political, moral, and even zymurlogical), geological differences as applied to pre-scientific solutions, styles, and chemistry-related reactions taking place at a certain time in my mash tun.

(though, since I'm a classical music brass player, computer geek, and woodworker, most interviewers eyes glaze over and just think of the word "beer", when I mentioin things like saccharification, beta-amylase, short chains, enzymes, and just about anything beyond 'yeast' and 'sugar is food'.) rock da brew, sing it like it iz, take no prisoners *(unless she's REALLY cute!)*.

i'd be interested in hearing your opinion on the through- mortise and tenon, and how it relates to the socio economic development of post middle aged (plague ridden) europe. or why dovetailing is just presumptuous...

That's my new interview game! See how long the applicant will talk if I just stone face them the whole time!! Then I'll ask them if they want a cup of special coffee...
\
i used to ask people (out of the blue) if they ever had to poop in a spackle bucket. i actually had one interviewee break down and confess. i was very empathetic.
that is just how serious i take capitalism.

i think in the wild west they used to drink whiskey until they stopped throwing up and had relations with working girls until their pee started to burn. or until someone challenged them to a gunfight. get back in the mix and you will meet the one you love!! hopefully before your wiener feels like it's on fire...

Alright, I'm just following this guy around the forum. Funny funny.

FYI, I got my first job out of college as an "Edison Engineer" for GE - in part of the nuclear weapons complex. Big time security, I was sequestered for 3 months waiting for my clearance before I could join the rest of the slobbering engineers. Anyhoo, HR asked for an updated resume, and I sent them the following. I kid you not, I almost got fired. I endured a hostile examination by 2 very angry HR women, and they specifically wanted to know what exactly the "sensuous trombone playing" meant. I copied the entire thing of the interwebz.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.​

I tell people all the time at interviews. But I'm in tech, so it's more like "As an added bonus, I make beer."

"Dovetailing is presumptious, it presumes you have skills, and clients that are well-off" -Ludd

The through m-and-t allowed the artisan to work the joint from both sides with a newfangled steel tool like a rasp, not yet wimpy and flacid without a modern 3hp plunge router sporting the newest in carbide UP-cut bits and depending on limply honed "FLOATING TENON" devil's tongues!!!!!!!!!!

oh, you were joking .....

(never mind!)

FYI, I got my first job out of college as an "Edison Engineer" for GE - in part of the nuclear weapons complex. Big time security, I was sequestered for 3 months waiting for my clearance before I could join the rest of the slobbering engineers. Anyhoo, HR asked for an updated resume, and I sent them the following. I kid you not, I almost got fired. I endured a hostile examination by 2 very angry HR women, and they specifically wanted to know what exactly the "sensuous trombone playing" meant. I copied the entire thing of the interwebz.

I am a dynamic figure, often seen scaling walls and crushing ice. I have been known to remodel train stations on my lunch breaks, making them more efficient in the area of heat retention. I translate ethnic slurs for Cuban refugees, I write award-winning operas, I manage time efficiently. Occasionally, I tread water for three days in a row.

I woo women with my sensuous and godlike trombone playing, I can pilot bicycles up severe inclines with unflagging speed, and I cook Thirty-Minute Brownies in twenty minutes. I am an expert in stucco, a veteran in love, and an outlaw in Peru.

Using only a hoe and a large glass of water, I once single-handedly defended a small village in the Amazon Basin from a horde of ferocious army ants. I play bluegrass cello, I was scouted by the Mets, I am the subject of numerous documentaries. When I'm bored, I build large suspension bridges in my yard. I enjoy urban hang gliding. On Wednesdays, after school, I repair electrical appliances free of charge.

I am an abstract artist, a concrete analyst, and a ruthless bookie. Critics worldwide swoon over my original line of corduroy evening wear. I don't perspire. I am a private citizen, yet I receive fan mail. I have been caller number nine and have won the weekend passes. Last summer I toured New Jersey with a traveling centrifugal-force demonstration. I bat 400. My deft floral arrangements have earned me fame in international botany circles. Children trust me.

I can hurl tennis rackets at small moving objects with deadly accuracy. I once read Paradise Lost, Moby Dick, and David Copperfield in one day and still had time to refurbish an entire dining room that evening. I know the exact location of every food item in the supermarket. I have performed several covert operations for the CIA. I sleep once a week; when I do sleep, I sleep in a chair. While on vacation in Canada, I successfully negotiated with a group of terrorists who had seized a small bakery. The laws of physics do not apply to me.

I balance, I weave, I dodge, I frolic, and my bills are all paid. On weekends, to let off steam, I participate in full-contact origami. Years ago I discovered the meaning of life but forgot to write it down. I have made extraordinary four course meals using only a mouli and a toaster oven. I breed prizewinning clams. I have won bullfights in San Juan, cliff-diving competitions in Sri Lanka, and spelling bees at the Kremlin. I have played Hamlet, I have performed open-heart surgery, and I have spoken with Elvis.​

i am going to figure out a way to get this on my tombstone. i'm hoping if i start the wheeling and dealing now, i can get some kind of special.

I LOVED that! but you edited out the "I have never been to college part". and while my trombone playing is not GODLIKE, I play God a lot, that's all they WROTE back in 1585. i don't remember the centrifuge part either. urban legend has it the original was for admittance to Brown.

"Dovetailing is presumptious, it presumes you have skills, and clients that are well-off" -Ludd

The through m-and-t allowed the artisan to work the joint from both sides with a newfangled steel tool like a rasp, not yet wimpy and flacid without a modern 3hp plunge router sporting the newest in carbide UP-cut bits and depending on limply hone "FLOATING TENON" devil's tongues!!!!!!!!!!

oh, you were joking .....

(never mind!)

i always thought the through let you see you shortcomings before you got there!!!
like making love to a midget.

My current company is non-alcoholic (Pellagrino Party!). I didn't know that at the time of the interview, but if I would have talked homebrew it would have been game over. So, 3 years later I'm looking again. Is it bad I'm trying to feel out if my prospective boss drinks?

LMAO! I'm actively looking too, found myself thinking the same thing when I got asked about my hobbies... You drink? Well I'm your guy, I homebrew! I'll bring you samples! My last boss only recently started drinking in his mid 40's... kinda funny trying to find him "a" beer and "a" Scotch he liked.

He liked 1 of my homebrews... (his palate was not ready for real beer, oddly he liked the smoked imperial porter).

I do leave homebrew off my list, as well as recreational shooting. I list the awards I won for painting on the resume, and when asked about hobbies, I tell them about fishing, fishing rod building, fly tying, camping/backpacking, kayaking, and my experience as a BSA leader (if a woman interviewer I throw in cooking). I try to keep it as "wholesome" as possible. You never know what will turn somebody off.

I was once asked on a school interview what I would do if I didn't get in, even after reapplying...I said I'd open up a brewpub...we spent the entire rest of the interview talking about craft beer....

A related story: the Jehovah's Witness' come to see me every Saturday. We usually talk for 30 minutes, and they leave with homebrew. They didn't know I brewed until they asked what my RDWHAHB licence plate meant. They never miss a Saturday now.

Back