Brief Water quality data sheet INDIANA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcorn

Reaction score
I was wondering if I could get some help on my very basic water quality data sheet from my city's files. I am not looking to get too crazy on this, just wondering if it were good or bad. The water does taste pretty decent here in southern Indiana but does have a very minimal green (chloramine I am sure) tint in a white bucket. I currently treat my waters with a carbon rv water filter and campden tabs.

Chlorine- 1ppm
Nitrate- .196 ppm
Copper- 1.443 ppm
Fluoride- .8 ppm
Lead- 1.5 ppb

Total Haloacetic Acids haa5- 75 ppb but has recently been fixed it says?
Total Trihalomethanes tthm- 84 ppb
Atrazine- .56 ppb
Simazine- .57 ppb
Turbidity- .22 NTU
Sodium- 1.6 Mg/L

well if its city water i would not use Camden tablets. Camden tablets kill everything,,,,,including yeast cells. I would be very careful pitching into a fresh batch of wort,, because it might get stuck. that being said you have 219 posts i see so you probably know that already.

I know for sure that the well water in souther Indiana sucks (especially Lawrence county), and would not brew with it, but then again i am sure your aware of that as well.

You can call the water company and they should be able to give you more information. I did that myself. My provider is Indiana American Water. Problem is that the data they give you will be from recent analysis and it will change from time to time. Might want to call during different seasons and see how it changes. My water is definitely less alkaline in winter vs summer.

well if its city water i would not use Camden tablets. Camden tablets kill everything,,,,,including yeast cells. I would be very careful pitching into a fresh batch of wort,, because it might get stuck. that being said you have 219 posts i see so you probably know that already.

I know for sure that the well water in souther Indiana sucks (especially Lawrence county), and would not brew with it, but then again i am sure your aware of that as well.

I have read alot about water and camden tabs but have never heard of those tabs killing yeast nor stalling yeast production. I don't see why anyone would risk using them if that were the case?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

You can call the water company and they should be able to give you more information. I did that myself. My provider is Indiana American Water. Problem is that the data they give you will be from recent analysis and it will change from time to time. Might want to call during different seasons and see how it changes. My water is definitely less alkaline in winter vs summer.

Thats what almost seems pointless in submitting a water sample for me. My city states that they often pull from 2 completely different locations (a lake and lake/well in another close town for water).That would be two completely different results of water chemistry. Not to mention the changing chemistry by season.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Home Brew mobile app

See sticky on Campden:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f128/campden-tablets-sulfites-brewing-water-361073/

Brewers's aren't using 5 campden tabs per 5 gallons AFTER fermentation like wine makers. They use 1/4 of a single tab (per 5 gallons) in the pre-mash brewing liquor. Big difference.

I was wondering if I could get some help on my very basic water quality data sheet from my city's files. I am not looking to get too crazy on this, just wondering if it were good or bad. The water does taste pretty decent here in southern Indiana but does have a very minimal green (chloramine I am sure) tint in a white bucket. I currently treat my waters with a carbon rv water filter and campden tabs.

Chlorine- 1ppm
Nitrate- .196 ppm
Copper- 1.443 ppm
Fluoride- .8 ppm
Lead- 1.5 ppb

Total Haloacetic Acids haa5- 75 ppb but has recently been fixed it says?
Total Trihalomethanes tthm- 84 ppb
Atrazine- .56 ppb
Simazine- .57 ppb
Turbidity- .22 NTU
Sodium- 1.6 Mg/L

The report is almost worthless for brewing. The presence of haloacetic acids and THMs do indicate that this water is from a surface water source. Chloramines are almost certainly used. The tint of the water has NOTHING to do with the use of chloramines.

You will have to talk with the water company and find out how often they pull from wells. They may also be able to provide you with information on hardness and alkalinity. If you are really lucky, they might also test for individual ions...but don't hold your breath for that! You'll probably have to get your own testing done.

Several things, including chloramine (directly and/or indirectly), could be responsible for the green color. To see if it is the chloramine acting directly add a pinch of metabite or a bit of crushed campden tablet. If the green color goes away it was the chloramine.

Latest posts

Back