Brewzilla Gen 4 240v Circuit advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtrainer

BeerCzar I am
Reaction score
Per Kegland/MoreBeer, the Gen 4 needs 2400 watts at 240v, so 11 Amps. However the unit ships with a Nema 6-30 plug.

I can build a new garage circuit for 30 Amps and 10 gauge wire, but account for 80% NEC requirement and ampacity of the wire should be 8 gauge 30X80% = 37.5 . I only expect 11 Amps so 10 Gauge would suffice, but I guess pushing to 8 gauge future proofs the circuit. This upgrade simply doubles the wire costs.

What are you guys doing for wire sizing if adding a new circuit.

A 240v/15 amp circuit is more than enough. Use 14 gauge wire and a NEMA 6-15R receptacle. Then replace the plug on the brewzilla to a 6-15P. The GFCI protected 15 amp breaker should be significantly cheaper than the 30amp version.

If you feel like using a 30amp circuit, and don't mind the extra cost of the GFCI breaker, 10 gauge is plenty. The 80% thing is for devices that pull maximum current for 3 hours or more. You're going to be pulling 35% of the rated current and not even for 3 hours straight.

A 240v/15 amp circuit is more than enough. Use 14 gauge wire and a NEMA 6-15R receptacle. Then replace the plug on the brewzilla to a 6-15P. The GFCI protected 15 amp breaker should be significantly cheaper than the 30amp version.

If you feel like using a 30amp circuit, and don't mind the extra cost of the GFCI breaker, 10 gauge is plenty. The 80% thing is for devices that pull maximum current for 3 hours or more. You're going to be pulling 35% of the rated current and not even for 3 hours straight.
Not only that, but continuous loads also count at 125% when sizing breakers.

Anything with a 30A plug can go on a 30A circuit with 30A wiring (assuming compliant appliance design). Determining if your 10AWG wire is rated for 30A is the complicated bit, but "usually" ;)

Modiying the plug may (lkely does) void the listing of the equipment. If you're competant, this would likely only come up during legal battles and insurance claims. But if you're adding a cicuit anyway I'd stick with the factory plug, unless 30A 2pole gfci breaker was prohibitively expensive. (I have an old Bryant panel and my only options were $200+ and questionably compatible, so went 120V.)

I would love to know why they use a 6-30P. It's possible the heaters are nominal 220V, so the nominal 3500W 65L is just over 20A at 240V with the continuous adjustment, and they wanted to standardize plugs. /shrug

I guess I'll slightly modify my suggestion. If you're concerned about modifying the devices plug and voiding the warranty but still don't think you'll ever need a full 30amps in the future, use a 5-15R receptacle on your 15 amp circuit and build or buy an adapter that goes 6-30R to 6-15P.

For the most part, 10 gauge Romex, BX, and THHN type stranded conductors in a conduit are good for 30amps while SJ/SO type portable cords are usually downgraded to 25 amps.

Both of you have valid and great points. Like BobbyM, I couldn't find a reason why this couldn't be 15 Amp, maybe 20 for 55% utilization numbers. But as Mashdr pointed out, do I really feel like modifying the cord... legal/warranty, etc. So to keep costs down, I guess I could drag 10AWG wire, place notes, and notate this in the breaker box and outlet receptacle for future owners. Then as BobbyM suggests build/obtain an extension cord that converts the whatever to 6-30.

Is it legit/legal to build for 20 AMP but use the 6-30 receptacle?

I guess the question I have for Kegland is why this unit comes with a 30 AMP plug setup.

I didn't think it would be much more however it seems when electricians come into the neighborhood, prices suddenly double compared to when I get quotes for a friend's house with longer runs.

I guess the question I have for Kegland is why this unit comes with a 30 AMP plug setup.
30A circuits with 6-30 (3-wire) or 14-30 (4-wire) outets are very common for dryers. 15A 240V circuits are rare in homes. Why would they default to a plug that very few people have outlets for?

Brew on :mug:

30A circuits with 6-30 (3-wire) or 14-30 (4-wire) outets are very common for dryers. 15A 240V circuits are rare in homes. Why would they default to a plug that very few people have outlets for?

Because they are in Australia, where it is more prevalent. Am I understanding this thread correctly, you are wiring your own outlet?

Because they are in Australia, where it is more prevalent. Am I understanding this thread correctly, you are wiring your own outlet?
But the standard plug (NEMA 6-30) is a USA plug style, not Australian.

I am comfortable with the task. I chatted with my cousin who is a retired certified electrician and with all considerations of use and expectations, I'm going with 10 AWG. I got outrageous quotes from 4 electricians and decided to save nearly $900 on the job.

I was just not understanding why they called out using a Nema 6-30 for an 11 AMP task... Seemed like over kill that drives up the cost is all.

I am comfortable with the task. I chatted with my cousin who is a retired certified electrician and with all considerations of use and expectations, I'm going with 10 AWG. I got outrageous quotes from 4 electricians and decided to save nearly $900 on the job.

I was just not understanding why they called out using a Nema 6-30 for an 11 AMP task... Seemed like over kill that drives up the cost is all.
Yeah seems like they charge waay too much to run some wire, But I just ordered these two items save me time and money
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074LS8FN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJH8LPN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Think i ordered the last extension cord avail on amazon at the moment. But will get from laundry room to garage.

Yeah seems like they charge waay too much to run some wire, But I just ordered these two items save me time and money
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074LS8FN2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CJH8LPN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1Think i ordered the last extension cord avail on amazon at the moment. But will get from laundry room to garage.
Won't work for me, laundry is at the other end and upstairs.
Every time I look/have time to do this, the rain hits. I don't want to muck with the box in the rain for some reason...

Won't work for me, laundry is at the other end and upstairs.
Every time I look/have time to do this, the rain hits. I don't want to muck with the box in the rain for some reason...
Yeah, i wouldn't either. Hate working in the rain as is

Latest posts

Back