Brewtoad late boil additions impact on SRM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andycook

Reaction score
I'm designing a porter in Brewtoad. I moved the dark malts to late boil addition (black patent, chocolate, roasted barley) from the mash. I don't see an adjustment in SRM in Brewtoad after that move. Shouldn't it? Or am I off base?

I'm designing a porter in Brewtoad. I moved the dark malts to late boil addition (black patent, chocolate, roasted barley) from the mash. I don't see an adjustment in SRM in Brewtoad after that move. Shouldn't it? Or am I off base?

I really wouldn't add your roasted malts to the boil. If you mean steep separately and add the liquid towards the end of the boil, then you're good. I wouldn't worry about SRM as it shouldn't change too much. It'll probably end up close enough to black either way :)

I agree, you don't want to boil the grains. Late addition of grains is usually in the mash. Or, as rhys333 said, steep and add the liquid late in the boil. Adding them late is to decrease possible harsh tastes, it should not change SRM much, if at all.

Back