Brewtarget 1.2.3 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Really? Qt is requiring you to have a compiler? I thought there was a binary-only download instead of the Qt source code.

There are binaries, I think I was just unclear. Since I have always installed XCode in my systems I didn't even consider the possibilities. I apologize to you and mikfire for my mis-guided attempts at help.

Not sure I understood everything you just mentioned but yeah its a bummer that it doesn't just work out of the box like most things mac/apple.

I apologize for not considering that you might want an out of the box solution. Unfortunately since Mac/Window/Linux don't really live on the same planet there are some things we as users have to do to make them communicate. If you wish for a simple solution then by all means purchase a commercial software, but please don't write off BrewTarget as a viable option.

I am making an assumption here, but I guess you probably downloaded either the Software Development Kit or the Integrated Developers Environment both of which require XCode to be installed on your system.

There is however a Library package that should allow your system to run without XCode. The direct link is http://get.qt.nokia.com/qt/source/qt-mac-cocoa-opensource-4.6.4.dmg.

If this does not work and you still wish to try BrewTarget please do not hesitate to contact me directly at dahoov AT gmail DOT com. We can also locate a version of XCode that you can download and install without the need of your OS installation disks.

Once again I apologize for my earlier response. I love BrewTarget and use it daily. I think everyone should at least give it a chance.

Dahoov,
I just want to thank you for spending the time getting me the needed disk images to run brewtarget. I will try this software out when I brew in the next week.
Thanks for helping out someone who isn't on the same level technologically as you are. It was a real help so I could run this program.
Thanks.

I just wanted to add my thanks to the developers of Brewtarget. It is fantastic having such a tool that runs natively on Linux. I've been using it for the past few weeks to refine some of my existing recipes as well as develop new ones. So far it has been working quite well. (I've been building SVN checkouts due to the inability for version 1.2.3 to save changes to the brewday steps.)

There is one feature I'd love to see. I may be missing it, so before I make a feature request on the project's sf.net page, I'll ask here first. The ability to undo changes to a recipe or somehow revert it to it's previous state would be quite nice. Currently, if I adjust any ingredients I can't get back to the previously saved recipe without closing the program without saving and restarting (or backing up and restoring the database). Is there a simple way to undo changes that I am missing? I searched this thread and the feature requests on the SourceForge project page and came up empty. Thanks!

There is one feature I'd love to see. I may be missing it, so before I make a feature request on the project's sf.net page, I'll ask here first. The ability to undo changes to a recipe or somehow revert it to it's previous state would be quite nice. Currently, if I adjust any ingredients I can't get back to the previously saved recipe without closing the program without saving and restarting (or backing up and restoring the database). Is there a simple way to undo changes that I am missing? I searched this thread and the feature requests on the SourceForge project page and came up empty. Thanks!
Yeah, I kind of noticed this early on and I use the copy recipe function liberally. It's pretty easy to have a few different versions going, then save the one I want to keep and delete the rest, renaming as needed. I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but that's how I do it. It also allows me to keep two or three similar recipes stored while experimenting.

Thanks for the response, Wyrmwood. The method of making recipe copies is one that I've used, but it still seems less than ideal in my opinion. I tend to forget to make a copy of the recipe I'm playing with before I start modifications. I suppose I could be more diligent about that in the future.

Yeah, I kind of noticed this early on and I use the copy recipe function liberally. It's pretty easy to have a few different versions going, then save the one I want to keep and delete the rest, renaming as needed. I'm not sure if there's an easier way, but that's how I do it. It also allows me to keep two or three similar recipes stored while experimenting.

Yeah, right now there is no "undo" feature, because implementing an undo system can actually be quite complicated. If there's anyone with related experience, I invite you to contact me and I can put you on the project to work on that.

Thanks for verifying no so feature exists. I was prepared to feel silly for overlooking something obvious.

I can't seem to find a "patches" section in the SF.net project. Building my Brewtarget package for Slackware 13.37 requires I modify CMakeLists.txt and src/TimerWidget.h to properly find the Phonon libraries and header files. The FindQt4.cmake module included with cmake can have problems finding libphonon under certain circumstances when using FIND_PACKAGE(). In the case of Slackware, Qt is configured with the "-no-phonon" option, and a separate phonon package exists. Instead of using FIND_PACKAGE(), my patch uses FIND_LIBRARY() for phonon detection.

This isn't necessarily a bug in Brewtarget, so I did not want to open up a new bug report for it. Here's the patch in case it is of any use.

phonon_fix.diff:
Code:
diff -Naur brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//CMakeLists.txt brewtarget-1.2.3/CMakeLists.txt
--- brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//CMakeLists.txt       2011-03-19 11:36:43.000000000 -0700
+++ brewtarget-1.2.3/CMakeLists.txt     2011-07-02 12:18:09.749172311 -0700
@@ -69,7 +69,8 @@
 IF( ${BUILD_DESIGNER_PLUGINS} )
    FIND_PACKAGE(Qt4 4.6.0 COMPONENTS QtCore QtGui QtNetwork QtSvg QtWebKit QtXml Phonon QtDesigner REQUIRED)
 ELSE()
-   FIND_PACKAGE(Qt4 4.6.0 COMPONENTS QtCore QtGui QtNetwork QtSvg QtWebkit QtXml Phonon REQUIRED)
+   FIND_PACKAGE(Qt4 4.6.0 COMPONENTS QtCore QtGui QtNetwork QtSvg QtWebkit QtXml REQUIRED)
+   FIND_LIBRARY(EXT_PHONON_LIBRARY phonon)
 ENDIF()

# Some extra files for the "make clean" target.
diff -Naur brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//src/CMakeLists.txt brewtarget-1.2.3/src/CMakeLists.txt
--- brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//src/CMakeLists.txt   2011-03-19 11:36:45.000000000 -0700
+++ brewtarget-1.2.3/src/CMakeLists.txt 2011-07-02 12:18:09.749172311 -0700
@@ -1,5 +1,6 @@
 # Put all the required Qt dirs in the includes.
 INCLUDE(${QT_USE_FILE})
+SET(QT_LIBRARIES "${QT_LIBRARIES};${EXT_PHONON_LIBRARY}")

# Variable that contains all the .cpp files in this project.
 SET( brewtarget_SRCS
diff -Naur brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//src/TimerWidget.h brewtarget-1.2.3/src/TimerWidget.h
--- brewtarget-1.2.3.orig//src/TimerWidget.h    2011-03-19 11:36:44.000000000 -0700
+++ brewtarget-1.2.3/src/TimerWidget.h  2011-07-02 12:18:40.864179594 -0700
@@ -29,8 +29,8 @@

#if !defined(NO_PHONON) // I think Windows can't handle Phonon.

- #include <mediaobject.h>
- #include <audiooutput.h>
+ #include <phonon/mediaobject.h>
+ #include <phonon/audiooutput.h>

#endif

Although this is for Slackware, I installed Ubuntu 11.04 and Arch Linux in VMs and successfully built Brewtarget using this patch on those distribution as well.

P.S. The behavior I reported in bug 3370570 still exists as of revision 509. The bug report is now closed, so I am unable to add a new comment to it.

Once again my lib phonon stuff can't be found in spite of being in /usr/lib64... sigh.. In the past I was able to stick it in the .configure file but there seems to be some changes and I can't figure out where/how to make the change.

Once again my lib phonon stuff can't be found in spite of being in /usr/lib64... sigh.. In the past I was able to stick it in the .configure file but there seems to be some changes and I can't figure out where/how to make the change.

What distribution are you using? What is the full path of libphonon.so? What is the output when you run the configure script for Brewtarget? You can try the patch I posted above to see if it works for you.

P.S. The behavior I reported in bug 3370570 still exists as of revision 509. The bug report is now closed, so I am unable to add a new comment to it.

Sorry. The problem was taken care of on my distro. I've re-opened the problem and will investigate further.

Mik

No need to apologize. If it is indeed a distribution-specific issue I will do what I can to help to isolate it. Just let me know what I can do.

Sweet, thanks Mike. Yeah, unfortunately some of these packages can be really hard to standardize across all systems even with CMake, but we don't know unless people like you tell us, so I appreciate it!

How can I first wort hop? I mean on the program, it only allows 60 min max.

What distribution are you using? What is the full path of libphonon.so? What is the output when you run the configure script for Brewtarget? You can try the patch I posted above to see if it works for you.

Latest, and seems to be final? version of Mandriva.

/usr/lib64/libphonon.so

[root@sorta brewtarget-1.2.3]# ./configure
Prefix:
CMAKEOPTIONS: -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=
-- Building Brewtarget.
-- CMakeRoot: /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CPack.cmake
-- Libraries: /usr/lib64/libQtSvg.so;/usr/lib64/libQtWebKit.so;/usr/lib64/libphonon.so;/usr/lib64/libQtGui.so;/usr/lib64/libQtDBus.so;/usr/lib64/libQtXml.so;/usr/lib64/libQtXmlPatterns.so;/usr/lib64/libQtNetwork.so;/usr/lib64/libQtCore.so
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
QT_PHONON_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
used as include directory in directory /home/hermit/brewtarget-1.2.3/src

-- Configuring incomplete, errors occurred!

Now, cd to build/ and run "make"

I haven't used the patch system in years since the days I'd need it to make some piece of unsupported hardware work.

Latest, and seems to be final? version of Mandriva.

/usr/lib64/libphonon.so

[root@sorta brewtarget-1.2.3]# ./configure
Prefix:
CMAKEOPTIONS: -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=
-- Building Brewtarget.
-- CMakeRoot: /usr/share/cmake/Modules/CPack.cmake
-- Libraries: /usr/lib64/libQtSvg.so;/usr/lib64/libQtWebKit.so;/usr/lib64/libphonon.so;/usr/lib64/libQtGui.so;/usr/lib64/libQtDBus.so;/usr/lib64/libQtXml.so;/usr/lib64/libQtXmlPatterns.so;/usr/lib64/libQtNetwork.so;/usr/lib64/libQtCore.so
CMake Error: The following variables are used in this project, but they are set to NOTFOUND.
Please set them or make sure they are set and tested correctly in the CMake files:
QT_PHONON_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
used as include directory in directory /home/hermit/brewtarget-1.2.3/src

I haven't used the patch system in years since the days I'd need it to make some piece of unsupported hardware work.

The configure script is finding libphonon fine, but cmake is not correctly setting the QT_PHONON_INCLUDE_DIR variable with the location of the Phonon header files. If mediaobject.h and audiooutput.h reside in the directory /usr/include/phonon/ on your system, them my patch should work for you as-is. If those files are somewhere else it is an easy adjustment.

To patch, copy the code from my post above and save it somewhere with a name such as phonon_fix.diff. The name doesn't really matter, as long as you use the same name in the command used to patch the source. From the top source directory of Brewtarget (i.e., /usr/src/brewtarget/brewtarget-1.2.3), run:

Code:
patch -p1 < /path/to/phonon_fix.diff

Then configure and build as you normally would.

In the meantime I'll see about downloading Mandriva and trying to build Brewtarget on it.

Sweet, thanks Mike. Yeah, unfortunately some of these packages can be really hard to standardize across all systems even with CMake, but we don't know unless people like you tell us, so I appreciate it!

My pleasure. I really appreciate the work you folks are doing to make Brewtarget available. I'm happy to help any way I can.

Would you check rev. 510 that I just checked in to see if it finds Phonon on your system?

Negative. Here's the configure script output:

Code:
Prefix: 
CMAKEOPTIONS:  -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=
-- The C compiler identification is GNU
-- The CXX compiler identification is GNU
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/gcc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++
-- Check for working CXX compiler: /usr/bin/c++ -- works
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info - done
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11
-- Looking for Q_WS_X11 - found
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN
-- Looking for Q_WS_WIN - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS
-- Looking for Q_WS_QWS - not found.
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC
-- Looking for Q_WS_MAC - not found.
-- Found Qt-Version 4.7.0 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
-- Phonon not found as a part of Qt; trying another approach.
-- Hooray! Phonon found.
-- Phonon dir: EXT_PHONON_PATH-NOTFOUND
-- Phonon lib: /usr/lib64/libphonon.so
-- Building Brewtarget.
Qt PHONON library not found.
-- CMakeRoot: /usr/share/cmake-2.8/Modules/CPack.cmake
-- Libraries: /usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtSvg.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtWebKit.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtGui.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtXml.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtXmlPatterns.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtNetwork.so;/usr/lib64/qt/lib/libQtCore.so 
EXT_PHONON_PATH
   used as include directory in directory /home/mike/tmp/scratch/brewtarget/brewtarget-r511
   used as include directory in directory /home/mike/tmp/scratch/brewtarget/brewtarget-r511/src

So it's finding the library, but not the header file mediaobject.h. It would appear the variable EXT_PHONON_PATH is being set to the value of EXT_PHONON_PATH-NOTFOUND. I do not believe EXT_PHONON_LIB-NOTFOUND and EXT_PHONON_PATH-NOTFOUND are meant to be variables. Rather, they are values the respective EXT_PHONON_LIB and EXT_PHONON_PATH variables are set to when FIND_LIBRARY and FIND_PATH fail. This makes the if statement "IF( EXT_PHONON_LIB-NOTFOUND OR EXT_PHONON_PATH-NOTFOUND )" always evaluate to false. At least that is my understanding. Admittedly, my knowledge of cmake ranges from limited to null, so I may be way off base.

Additionally, the reason the header isn't being found is because it is in /usr/include/phonon, which is probably not in any sort of standard search path. Changing FIND_PATH( EXT_PHONON_PATH "mediaobject.h" ) to FIND_PATH( EXT_PHONON_PATH "mediaobject.h" PATHS "/usr/include/phonon" ) works around that issue in the case of Slackware, but of course an additional path would have to be added for each non-standard location for mediaobject.h in other distributions.

Even with the above addition, and your previous changes, configure complains about not finding Phonon. This is probably due to the requirement of Phonon in FIND_PACKAGE(Qt4 4.6.0 COMPONENTS QtCore QtGui QtNetwork QtSvg QtWebkit QtXml Phonon REQUIRED).

Compiling succeeds after making the adjustment to FIND_PATH, however linking fails. I'm looking in to that now.

Found it. The below patch to r510 gets Brewtarget compiling and linking just fine on Slackware. It does not deal with the if statement on line 82 of CMakeLists.txt or configure stating "Qt PHONON library not found."

Code:
diff -Naur brewtarget-r510.orig//CMakeLists.txt brewtarget-r510/CMakeLists.txt
--- brewtarget-r510.orig//CMakeLists.txt        2011-07-23 11:48:41.154988637 -0700
+++ brewtarget-r510/CMakeLists.txt      2011-07-23 12:25:23.474363801 -0700
@@ -78,7 +78,7 @@
 IF( NOT QT_PHONON_FOUND )
    MESSAGE( STATUS "Phonon not found as a part of Qt; trying another approach." )
         FIND_LIBRARY( EXT_PHONON_LIB phonon )
-        FIND_PATH( EXT_PHONON_PATH "mediaobject.h" )
+        FIND_PATH( EXT_PHONON_PATH "mediaobject.h" PATHS "/usr/include/phonon" )
         IF( EXT_PHONON_LIB-NOTFOUND OR EXT_PHONON_PATH-NOTFOUND )
            MESSAGE( STATUS "Phonon not found." )
    ELSE()
diff -Naur brewtarget-r510.orig//src/CMakeLists.txt brewtarget-r510/src/CMakeLists.txt
--- brewtarget-r510.orig//src/CMakeLists.txt    2011-07-23 11:48:03.130121679 -0700
+++ brewtarget-r510/src/CMakeLists.txt  2011-07-23 12:25:41.993298525 -0700
@@ -431,10 +431,10 @@
    SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES( ${brewtarget_EXECUTABLE} PROPERTIES LINK_FLAGS "-enable-stdcall-fixup -Wl,-enable-auto-import -Wl,-enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc -Wl,-s -mthreads -Wl,-subsystem,windows -Lc:/Qt/4.7.1/lib" )
 ELSE()
    # Link brewtarget against Qt libraries defined by QT_LIBRARIES
-   TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( ${brewtarget_EXECUTABLE} ${QT_LIBRARIES} ${EXT_LIBRARIES} )
+   TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES( ${brewtarget_EXECUTABLE} ${QT_LIBRARIES};${EXT_LIBS} )
 ENDIF()

-MESSAGE( STATUS "Libraries: ${QT_LIBRARIES} ${EXT_LIBRARIES}" )
+MESSAGE( STATUS "Libraries: ${QT_LIBRARIES};${EXT_LIBS}" )

#==============================Setup install targets===========================

The configure script is finding libphonon fine, but cmake is not correctly setting the QT_PHONON_INCLUDE_DIR variable with the location of the Phonon header files. If mediaobject.h and audiooutput.h reside in the directory /usr/include/phonon/ on your system, them my patch should work for you as-is. If those files are somewhere else it is an easy adjustment.

To patch, copy the code from my post above and save it somewhere with a name such as phonon_fix.diff. The name doesn't really matter, as long as you use the same name in the command used to patch the source. From the top source directory of Brewtarget (i.e., /usr/src/brewtarget/brewtarget-1.2.3), run:

Code:
patch -p1 < /path/to/phonon_fix.diff

Then configure and build as you normally would.

In the meantime I'll see about downloading Mandriva and trying to build Brewtarget on it.
Worked. Thanks. I don't know if I'd bother with Mandriva. It looks like they're going belly up. :( I've been using it for a long time. I use Fedora at work and hate it, but I guess I'll adjust. Most of our servers are RedHat so I guess I'll have to give in to that distro.... sigh....

Glad it worked for you.

I don't know if I'd bother with Mandriva. It looks like they're going belly up. :( I've been using it for a long time. I use Fedora at work and hate it, but I guess I'll adjust. Most of our servers are RedHat so I guess I'll have to give in to that distro.... sigh....

Don't worry, I wasn't planning on using Mandriva. :p I did install it in a VM with the intention of helping you compile Brewtarget, but it looks like that won't be necessary now. However, I'll keep it installed for the time being to further help test Brewtarget on other distributions.

Hey, you guys is real smart and I is real dumb. Mebbe you can help me.

I am sure I am missing something simple, but since I don't really know what I am doing, I don't know what to look for.

This is on Mac OSX 10.6.8.
Configure seemed to run fine. At least there were no errors. I switched to build and ran make. Compilation seemed to be fine but the linker failed. The first failure is;

[
Code:
100%] Building CXX object src/CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/qrc_brewtarget.cxx.o
Linking CXX executable brewtarget
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(185,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/database.cpp.o
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(400,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/brewtarget.cpp.o
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(383,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/OgAdjuster.cpp.o
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(391,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/recipe.cpp.o
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(202,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/RefractoDialog.cpp.o
ld: warning: can't find atom for N_GSYM stabs algorithmsSingleton:G(383,1) in CMakeFiles/brewtarget.dir/PitchDialog.cpp.o
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtSvg_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtWebKit_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libphonon_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtGui_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtDBus_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtXml_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtXmlPatterns_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtNetwork_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture
ld: warning: in /opt/local/lib/libQtCore_debug.dylib, file is not of required architecture

I figure if you can help me fix this, then maybe I can ask about the rest.

I'm on os x 10.6.8. I've just got done installing the QT SDK and I'm getting this error still any thoughts?

Code:
Process:         brewtarget [9034]
Path:            /Applications/brewtarget-1.2.3.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
Identifier:      brewtarget
Version:         ??? (???)
Code Type:       X86 (Native)
Parent Process:  launchd [126]

Date/Time:       2011-07-23 20:31:57.678 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K540)
Report Version:  6

Interval Since Last Report:          487288 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           6
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   6
Anonymous UUID:                      13BBBB35-41E0-4A73-ABB5-46D40DA21623

Exception Type:  EXC_BREAKPOINT (SIGTRAP)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000002, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread:  0

Dyld Error Message:
  Library not loaded: QtSvg.framework/Versions/4/QtSvg
  Referenced from: /Applications/brewtarget-1.2.3.app/Contents/MacOS/brewtarget
  Reason: image not found

Binary Images:
0x8fe00000 - 0x8fe4162b  dyld 132.1 (???) <A4F6ADCC-6448-37B4-ED6C-ABB2CD06F448> /usr/lib/dyld

Model: MacBookPro3,1, BootROM MBP31.0070.B07, 2 processors, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 4 GB, SMC 1.18f5
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, GeForce 8600M GT, PCIe, 256 MB
Memory Module: global_name
AirPort: spairport_wireless_card_type_airport_extreme (0x168C, 0x87), Atheros 5416: 2.1.14.6
Network Service: AirPort, AirPort, en1
PCI Card: pci168c,24, sppci_othernetwork, PCI Slot 5
Serial ATA Device: ST9160823AS, 149.05 GB
Parallel ATA Device: MAT****ADVD-R   UJ-85J
USB Device: Built-in iSight, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8502, 0xfd400000 / 2
USB Device: Kensington USB/PS2 Wheel Mouse, 0x047d  (Kensington), 0x1030, 0x3a200000 / 2
USB Device: IR Receiver, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x8242, 0x5d100000 / 2
USB Device: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad, 0x05ac  (Apple Inc.), 0x021a, 0x5d200000 / 3

In the hops tab, double-click on the "Use". It will become a drop-down list and you can select "first wort".

Ah, thanks! I was trying to do it when I added the hops to the recipe, not editing the hop schedule after added. Much obliged!

Rocketman,

I just wanted to confirm that the 1.2.3 .deb works out of the box with Debian Squeeze amd64. I just updated and after fiddling to get 1.2.2 to work on Debian Lenny amd64.

My hat's off to you sir.

Rocketman,

I just wanted to confirm that the 1.2.3 .deb works out of the box with Debian Squeeze amd64. I just updated and after fiddling to get 1.2.2 to work on Debian Lenny amd64.

My hat's off to you sir.

Great to hear that :) I assume you got the 1.2.3 deb off the sourceforge page right? We managed to get brewtarget into the debian repos, so hopefully ubuntu, debian, and other debian-based distros can just do "sudo apt-get install brewtarget" in the future.

Yeaqh, I downloaded it from the sourceforge page. Congrats on getting it into the debian repos though, that's pretty sweet. I will watch for that on future updates.

Great to hear that :) I assume you got the 1.2.3 deb off the sourceforge page right? We managed to get brewtarget into the debian repos, so hopefully ubuntu, debian, and other debian-based distros can just do "sudo apt-get install brewtarget" in the future.

Yeah, right now there is no "undo" feature, because implementing an undo system can actually be quite complicated. If there's anyone with related experience, I invite you to contact me and I can put you on the project to work on that.

This "undo" is a serious problem, because it's not just an "undo" in the classical sense, which can get complicated. The problem in this program is there is no OK and CANCEL buttons in the dialog boxes.

In a typical dialog construction, you always make a copy of the data to be edited. The dialog box works on that copy of the data, NOT anything in the database. Once the user presses OK, the data is committed to the database, AFTER A CHECK OF THE DATA. If the user presses CANCEL, well, you simply exit. It's pretty much the ONLY way to avoid complicated corruption of data and give the user some control/feedback to know what's happening. Full undos are a different story.

I'd help out, but I don't even have a compiler anymore, and frankly don't have the time. But I would recommend to you and whoever is working on this to think about making it user and data bombproof before adding more features. This could be a "for pay" program with a little bit of that. You should also be commended for a usable, straightforward user interface.

Rich

This "undo" is a serious problem, because it's not just an "undo" in the classical sense, which can get complicated. The problem in this program is there is no OK and CANCEL buttons in the dialog boxes.

In a typical dialog construction, you always make a copy of the data to be edited. The dialog box works on that copy of the data, NOT anything in the database. Once the user presses OK, the data is committed to the database, AFTER A CHECK OF THE DATA. If the user presses CANCEL, well, you simply exit. It's pretty much the ONLY way to avoid complicated corruption of data and give the user some control/feedback to know what's happening. Full undos are a different story.

I'd help out, but I don't even have a compiler anymore, and frankly don't have the time. But I would recommend to you and whoever is working on this to think about making it user and data bombproof before adding more features. This could be a "for pay" program with a little bit of that. You should also be commended for a usable, straightforward user interface.

Rich

Thanks for the good feedback and compliments! As always, we are trying to make it as robust and natural as possible, so keep the suggestions and feedback coming.

Hey guys, just a quick question for you.... I guess somewhat an issue....

Running Win7 64bit, patched to current, I noticed in task manager the brewtarget process basically uses 50% of my cpu the entire time I'm running it, even when idle... I normally wouldn't complain, but I run this on a laptop and it kills my battery pretty quick... Any thoughts on this?

thanks again - your program is quite cool!

Hey guys, just a quick question for you.... I guess somewhat an issue....

Running Win7 64bit, patched to current, I noticed in task manager the brewtarget process basically uses 50% of my cpu the entire time I'm running it, even when idle... I normally wouldn't complain, but I run this on a laptop and it kills my battery pretty quick... Any thoughts on this?

thanks again - your program is quite cool!

You sure you're using 1.2.3? Version 1.2.2 had this bug, but not 1.2.3.

I just downloaded this program in Ubuntu and I think it looks great. Has anybody found a way to convert .rec files to brewxml on Linux? I can't seem to find out how to do it. Thanks!

I saw Brewtarget got a passing mention in the September issue of Popular Mechanics in relation to someone's automated brew stand.

Good work!

Not thinking, I threw the magazine away without scanning the article. It took a little while to find it online. Here's the direct link.

Not to forget - congrats to Zizzle, too.

Text is below.

Auto-Brewski
Genius: Matt "Zizzle" Pratt

Like a lot of Americans, Matt Pratt loves beer. He blogs about it and has studied its ingredients, so naturally, he took up home brewing. But Pratt hit a few snags: "Using a manual brew process was taking forever. I was setting timers for the different stages&#8212;and I'd still half-boil something 40 minutes longer than I should have," he says. "I thought, maybe I need a computer to do it."

Soon, Pratt&#8212;who goes by the handle Zizzle online&#8212;came across the Renesas RX MCU Design Competition, encouraging hackers to incorporate microcontrollers into their DIY projects. So he created Brewbot, an automated machine that imports recipes directly from the open-source Brewtarget application, then fills its kettle, mixes in the grains and maintains temperature and water levels for the mash. "Once, I accidentally sent 12 volts into the system and blew up the Renesas board, but outside of that, the main components worked pretty much straight off the bat," Pratt says. "It makes lots less things we don't want to drink."

Not thinking, I threw the magazine away without scanning the article. It took a little while to find it online. Here's the direct link.

Not to forget - congrats to Zizzle, too.

Text is below.

Ah yeah. This guy sent me a video back in March of that system. I think maybe I even posted a link somewhere back in this thread. It's good to see that his brewbot is getting some attention. Kudos.

Back