Brewtarget 1.2.2 - Free Open Source Brewing Software

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What I've been doing is hitting
extract
all files
new folder
I get a folder on the desktop called brewtarget-1.2.2_mac Folder
inside that folder I get the brewtarget icon and that mac os folder
I still don't get any ingredients or any of the other stuff

Hey man, I am wondering if you have the same issue as Starderup. Does ~/.config exist? Does ~/.config/brewtarget exist? Do they have read/write permissions for you?

Turns out that dzlater's issue was that somehow the files in ~/.config/brewtarget were corrupt. I instructed him to delete them all so that brewtarget would recopy the files to that location, and it worked.

Is it possible to print out the brewday instructions like I've seen with other software apps instead of just having it up on the screen?

I also wasn't sure how to configure the timers (maybe there's an older post that explains it?) and assign a sound byte to them (or is that even what it's suppose to do?)

At any rate, I'm a pretty green brewer and giving this a shot for my first batch on Saturday.

The setup is definitely the hardest part. I have no clue what my heat losses are, my boil reduction rate, etc. so I'm hoping I don't screw it up too bad!

Thanks for all your efforts!

Turns out that dzlater's issue was that somehow the files in ~/.config/brewtarget were corrupt. I instructed him to delete them all so that brewtarget would recopy the files to that location, and it worked.

Solved that problem
But it crashes unexpectedly.
And I still can't figure out how to set up a mash/sparge.

Is it possible to print out the brewday instructions like I've seen with other software apps instead of just having it up on the screen?

I also wasn't sure how to configure the timers (maybe there's an older post that explains it?) and assign a sound byte to them (or is that even what it's suppose to do?)

At any rate, I'm a pretty green brewer and giving this a shot for my first batch on Saturday.

The setup is definitely the hardest part. I have no clue what my heat losses are, my boil reduction rate, etc. so I'm hoping I don't screw it up too bad!

Thanks for all your efforts!

On the Tools menu, click Recipe to Clipboard as Text. you can then paste this into any editor you choose and print it.
As for the timers, for an hour, enter 60:00 in the text box and click Set. you should then see 01:00:00. When you get to that step, click Start.
From what I understand, sounds have not been implemented yet. Happy brewing!

On the Tools menu, click Recipe to Clipboard as Text. you can then paste this into any editor you choose and print it.
As for the timers, for an hour, enter 60:00 in the text box and click Set. you should then see 01:00:00. When you get to that step, click Start.
From what I understand, sounds have not been implemented yet. Happy brewing!

To add to these directions. If I want the brewday mode instructions to come with the recipe, I have to generate the brewday instructions and then click copy to clipboard.

To add to these directions. If I want the brewday mode instructions to come with the recipe, I have to generate the brewday instructions and then click copy to clipboard.

Right. Generate new instructions, and then Recipe to clipboard.

Solved that problem
But it crashes unexpectedly.
And I still can't figure out how to set up a mash/sparge.

If it crashes or anything unexpected, send me a PM with the crash/bug report and I'll make sure it gets fixed.

As for how to do a mash, there are 2 ways: using the "Mash Wiz" button, or the "Mash Designer" button. The mash wiz is the fastest and easiest. Just add all your steps to the mash tab (protein rest, conversion, etc.), change the target temperatures of the steps, and click the button. It will ask you what you want the initial thickness to be and will calculate all the infusion volumes and temperatures so that you hit the target temperatures and your boil volume. To see these volumes/temps, either highlight a step and click the edit button (pencil/paper icon), or switch to brewday mode (button in the toolbar).

The mash designer is also dead simple to use, and it's pretty self explanatory I think, but if not I can expound upon this too. I've been meaning to make a series of tutorial videos about how to use the software, but time is always in short supply lately.

It quit on me again.
Maybe I should have asked what you meant by "crash/bug report"
before I sent you an **** load of of PMs
I hope that's what you meant?
If not I apologize

I used it yesterday. So far, using this opensource application is a bliss. Smooth, everything goes well.

Thank you! Very good work!

It seems to crash on my quite regularly as well, if I change something in the recipe after generating the instructions. From dmesg:

brewtarget[2488]: segfault at 68 ip b5923a62 sp b2eb49f4 error 4 in libpthread-2.11.1.so[b591d000+15000]

Rocketman, I love the software. Been using for a few months now. I have a couple of questions. Why do the IBU's only calculate if you add the hops as "boiling"? Is the "boiling" designation to be used for anything that is in the boil pot? There is a designation for aroma but it doesn't calculate IBU's. I'm just confused on what hop to add where to calculate proper IBU's.

Also, how about adding an brewhouse efficiency calculator?

Thanks again for the great program!

It seems to crash on my quite regularly as well, if I change something in the recipe after generating the instructions. From dmesg:

brewtarget[2488]: segfault at 68 ip b5923a62 sp b2eb49f4 error 4 in libpthread-2.11.1.so[b591d000+15000]

This is linux right? Can you start it with "gdb brewtarget" and then "run"? If you can get it to crash again, go to the gdb window and enter "bt" and PM me the results. If I can get that info, I can fix that issue.

Rocketman, I love the software. Been using for a few months now. I have a couple of questions. Why do the IBU's only calculate if you add the hops as "boiling"? Is the "boiling" designation to be used for anything that is in the boil pot? There is a designation for aroma but it doesn't calculate IBU's. I'm just confused on what hop to add where to calculate proper IBU's.

Brewtarget adheres to the BeerXML standard, which specifies what all these things mean. For the different hop uses, it says that "Aroma" and "Dry Hop" should not add any bitterness. So, select those if you don't want the software to calculate any additional bitterness. If you ever need to know more about such options and it isn't discussed in the brewtarget manual, go to the BeerXML website.

Also, how about adding an brewhouse efficiency calculator?

Thanks again for the great program!

Yup. We are definitely going to add such a calculator. Glad you enjoy it!

Hi Rocketman, I love the software and plan to help you to update the video for youtube once I understand the software a little more. I work in the AV industry beta testing software and hardware so I can do a nice video to help promote the software.

There is one question that I do have and that is FWH and if the software calculates this, if not how you would recommend to do a work around? ie by entering a % of the hops in as a 60min and a 1min additions? I have never FWH before so having your software calculate this would be great as I am using 'no chill' and I am told to use FWH instead of adding hops at flameout.

Hi Rocketman, I love the software and plan to help you to update the video for youtube once I understand the software a little more. I work in the AV industry beta testing software and hardware so I can do a nice video to help promote the software.

There is one question that I do have and that is FWH and if the software calculates this, if not how you would recommend to do a work around? ie by entering a % of the hops in as a 60min and a 1min additions? I have never FWH before so having your software calculate this would be great as I am using 'no chill' and I am told to use FWH instead of adding hops at flameout.

If you double click on the "use" column, you can choose FWH. I'm not sure I trust it though. It seems to reduce the IBU's way more than what I've experienced in practice. I get close to 1/3 to 1/4 reduction in IBU's using this.

Sounds sweet. Let me know when you're good to go. I think Hermit answered your FWH question. As a follow up, let me say that I have only read about 15 distinct methods for estimating FWH additions, so I just picked one. Maybe I should provide several methods for you to select from?

Sounds sweet. Let me know when you're good to go. I think Hermit answered your FWH question. As a follow up, let me say that I have only read about 15 distinct methods for estimating FWH additions, so I just picked one. Maybe I should provide several methods for you to select from?

The one I read said that it raises the IBU's just a 'tad' but since it was smoother not much need to compensate. I do 'BIAB' and put my hops in as I start raising to boil temp. The 'real' method was to put them in as you started your first runnings. Anyhow, I just use the 60 minutes now and life is good. I think I read in the brewday instructions that you actually are using a mash hopping?

The more I use this software, the more I like it :mug:

I have some questions though:

1.) I have my equipment dialed in and I have been doing 60 minute boils. Is the only way to do a 90 minute boil by adding a new equipment and only change the boil times and target size? That's what I've done so far and it works but it seems redundant. But I'm sure there's a logical reason for it that I don't know about.

2.) Can the grain bill be sorted by %? I sometimes mess up and would like to have the largest % on top. It's kind of a pain to re-enter & delete a hole grain bill.

3.) It would be nice to be able to enter "days" as a time measurement for dry hopping. Is that possible?

You could just constantly change your 60 min equipment, but I just created a 90 min equipment as you did and it works fine. I've also found that because i have to runoff more sparge water for a 90 min boil, that the grain absorption parameter needs adjustment on my 90 min equipment. However, this may not apply to your system.

As of now, there is no way to sort anything in BT, unless someone knows something I don't.

There's quite a bit to change. My boil kettle has a max of 6.5 gal. With boil off, I'll end up with 5 gal rather than 5.5 with my "normal" 60 minute boil.

I was just hoping there was an easier way. It's fine with two setups. But, if I ever did tweak something, I'll have to remember to "tweak" them both. And my memory sucks.

Once you have the two setups it's really pretty easy to just change the equipment per recipe. I think the only thing you would need to change on your equipment is boil time. You just need to have BT calculate your pre-boil volume. However, with a 6.5 gal pot I'd think it would be tough to do a 90 min boil for a finished 5.5 gal batch. I can barely do that in a 7.5 gal pot.

Best of luck :mug:

Hey Rocketman is there a way to import multiple beerxml files at one time? I've got a collection of about 225 recipes that I don't want to import individually. I'm not sure I have enough time in my day for all that. The software is great, other than that. I'm a huge fan of open source stuff. Thanks for the hard work!

I used this again yesterday for a Saison, and continue to be impressed. I used to pre-heat my mash tun with a gallon or so of hot water and then mash in. I'd also usually have to cool it down a little. Using the numbers from BT, and shooting for 153 degrees, it was smack dab dead on.
I recommend this to anybody that doesn't already have something else.

Hey Rocketman is there a way to import multiple beerxml files at one time? I've got a collection of about 225 recipes that I don't want to import individually. I'm not sure I have enough time in my day for all that. The software is great, other than that. I'm a huge fan of open source stuff. Thanks for the hard work!

Holy crap dude! I'm not exactly sure, but I think it expects you are just importing one file at a time. However, there can be any number of recipes inside that one file. In any case, I'll be sure to change the program to let you select many files at once to import.

Rocketman,

I was using your version 1.1 for some time because I am on Debian Lenny and couldn't really update the QT without essentially upgrading my distro. I just wanted to point out to anybody else in my situation that 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 appear to work just fine with the Windows Binary in wine. Since v1.1 (linux) did not have the database export, I just exported my recipes one by one and imported them into v1.2.2 (Wine) with no problems.

I prefer to have everything run natively, but I would much more prefer not to do a distribution upgrade for the sake of one program. I guess without getting too into it, is there a way to install QT4.6 without disrupting whichever version is already installed(4.4 I think)?

I've been looking around for software for my mac. I'm downloading the whole thing now. I'm a developer also so I'm getting the whole SDK. I've been wanting to get to know QT anyway and being able to see what's happening with this software would be a great way to get to know it. Hope it's not too hard to do development work with QT on a mac.

Holy crap dude! I'm not exactly sure, but I think it expects you are just importing one file at a time. However, there can be any number of recipes inside that one file. In any case, I'll be sure to change the program to let you select many files at once to import.

Excellent! I'll keep my eyes open for the update. I can't wait to get back from Afghanistan and start brewing again! I know I'll have your software running for my directions. Thanks again!

Rocketman,

I was using your version 1.1 for some time because I am on Debian Lenny and couldn't really update the QT without essentially upgrading my distro. I just wanted to point out to anybody else in my situation that 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 appear to work just fine with the Windows Binary in wine. Since v1.1 (linux) did not have the database export, I just exported my recipes one by one and imported them into v1.2.2 (Wine) with no problems.

I prefer to have everything run natively, but I would much more prefer not to do a distribution upgrade for the sake of one program. I guess without getting too into it, is there a way to install QT4.6 without disrupting whichever version is already installed(4.4 I think)?

I'm not sure you can install two distinct versions at a time, but I know you can install 4.6 without a problem. It's just a matter of downloading the package from the Qt website. I don't see a problem of just replacing 4.4 with 4.6.

I'm not sure you can install two distinct versions at a time, but I know you can install 4.6 without a problem. It's just a matter of downloading the package from the Qt website. I don't see a problem of just replacing 4.4 with 4.6.

I'll have a look. I tend to install / upgrade items through synaptic, which showed a lot of dependency issues if I attempted to use a newer version, but hopefully tonight I will have some time to install from source. It looks like 4.7 is available so I will try that.

I'll have a look. I tend to install / upgrade items through synaptic, which showed a lot of dependency issues if I attempted to use a newer version, but hopefully tonight I will have some time to install from source. It looks like 4.7 is available so I will try that.

After leaving QT it to compile while I was at work today I installed 4.7.0 to find that certain things from the include directory were not included (i.e., phonon) and that I really don't have much of a clue what I'm doing. So for now, I figure it's probably for the best if I run it through wine. Maybe I'll revisit it another time. Thanks for your assistance.

After leaving QT it to compile while I was at work today I installed 4.7.0 to find that certain things from the include directory were not included (i.e., phonon) and that I really don't have much of a clue what I'm doing. So for now, I figure it's probably for the best if I run it through wine. Maybe I'll revisit it another time. Thanks for your assistance.

I think I had to manually edit the make file to tell it where phono was, or made a symbolic link. I don't remember now. For some reason it just wasn't finding it for me either.

Did you run
Code:
$ ./configure -phonon ...

before running make? That will make sure it gets built.

Did you run
Code:
$ ./configure -phonon ...

before running make? That will make sure it gets built.

Code:
Phonon support cannot be enabled due to functionality tests!
 Turn on verbose messaging (-v) to ./configure to see the final report.
 If you believe this message is in error you may use the continue
 switch (-continue) to ./configure to continue.

I guess I missed this before... actually, I think I did
Code:
./configure && make
while I was gone.

It appears I was missing libgstreamer0.10-dev and libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev which I have now installed from synaptic and the configure seems to be progressing further. I will probably let it build overnight and try to install it in the morning along with brewtarget 1.2.2. When configuring brewtarget, if the path to qmake is not correct, is it proper to just set the variable in the config file to the proper one?
Code:
$qmake="/usr/local/Trolltech/Qt-4.7.0/bin/qmake";

Back