BrewSmith record keeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lostspring

Reaction score
I am a Brewsmith noob with a few questions. Sorry if this is long.
I have put some recipes in, then brewed them. I have gone back an entered my OG. I assume that all information that I enter stays with that recipe. So if I brew that recipe again and add my OG again that changes the original recipe.
I guess my question is -Is there a way to store each recipe when it is brewed or do you copy the original recipe and rename it? I have to believe that there is a way to store but my computer skills are somewhat lacking.
Another question.
The only way that I have found to add to inventory is to first make a shopping list then add to inventory. Is that correct?
Thanks for any help.

When you open up your recipe workspace you there is an option for 'Save As." What I personally do is enter the recipe as it is and then put a sort of a bogus brew date (2/20/2020) or something like that and save it as the 'master' recipe. When I actually brew the recipe, I do a save as according to the brew date. For instance, yesterday I brewed Midwest's winter ale. So I entered a brew date of 7/4/2009, entered my OG and some notes. I used ' save as ' and saved it with the title 'MW Winter Ale 07.04.2009' so I have a different record than the master.

Hope this helps!

As far as your second question, just open 'New Recipe.' About the middle of the page you will 'ingredients' and you have multiple add options buttons to the right. Add malt/extract, Add hops, Add misc, etc.

The only way that I have found to add to inventory is to first make a shopping list then add to inventory. Is that correct?
Thanks for any help.

Naw.

On the left, you'll see various things listed. For adding grain, click on "grains/extracts" or whatever it says. There you'll see a large section of grains. You can select one, then add an amount of what you have on hand. Or you can make your own grain.

Same with hops. Click on "hops" in the left pane. Then double click a hop to open it, and add an amount to inventory.

Also, on any recipe, you can right click and choose "duplicate" and it will duplicate the recipe in the same folder you're in, with "duplicate of recipe blah blah" as the name. Well, you get the idea.

You can then rename it. Or you can also save as.

You can create folders in the "my recipes" section, like "recipe formulation", "final recipes", "brewed recipes" or whatever. You can then drag and drop recipes into the various folders.

Back