Brewsmith on pc crashed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primetime

Reaction score
Question.....I had a pc for 3 years now...well it crashed over the weekend.
Now I went out to by a MAC, which has been great so far.
Are all my recipes lost for good, if I don't recover the hard drive.
Also since I bought the application once for the pc will they give me a free download for the mac?
Kinda pissed that I didn't back up anything, because I had about 15 reecipes loaded on there that I was messing with.

Well the recipes aren't stored anywhere except on your computer, so unless you recover the data (was it the HD that crashed?) you won't get them back.

Recipes are stored on the hard drive so if you can't get that data it's gone, also you can't run Beersmith on Mac yet, although Bradley is working on a Mac version for 2.0. You could use emulation software like VMWare Fusion to run it on an XP install on the Mac though.

If you bought another PC I'd say plop the old drive into the new computer and just copy the files over. But since you have a mac take the drive to a PC repair place and tell them you'd like to recover the files off of it.

If you are lucky, Windows just got corrupted but the drive is still fully functional and your recipes are intact. If you are unlucky the actual drive broke and you'll have to shell out a lot of money to get your files back.

OK, I'm going to do my part. If you're willing to ship the Hard Drive (only the hard drive) to me, and the data is recoverable I'll get the BeerSmith Data for you. I'll even walk you through getting VMWare Fusion running on your Mac if you want. PM me...

Primetime - if you arent familiar with how to do what davidhawman suggested, I could do it for you. PM me if you want and i can give you my shipping address. In the event the hard drive itself failed, i have some recovery software that might be able to pull off some info as well.

If it is just an operating system issue pull the hd out and plop it into one of those external hd cases. They run like $30 and plug into a USB port. You should be able to plug it in and browse the data from there :)

as far as the free download of the application is concerned, it's always been a fee download. What you pay for is the key to unlock it, which they should have emailed to you. So hopefully you are using an online email account(gmail, hotmail,yahoo, etc..) and you can retrieve that email with they key. Just download the demo and enter your key and you're good to go. If you lost the key only 2 options are to call BeerSmith and hope they will send it out again or buy again.

Oh, and buy an external USB hard drive and learn to back up your data!!!!

As I have suggested multiple times, but not heard back about it, Beersmith should work in Wine. I have tried it via Wine in Linux with no issues. Wine is also available for Mac and I would think it would work just fine as well. Way easier than VMware. You paid for the key, so you can download and install it in Wine with your serial.

www.winehq.com

As for your recipes, what they said. I always back mine up online. You can always save your recipes (one file) and email them to yourself for backup.

As I have suggested multiple times, but not heard back about it, Beersmith should work in Wine. I have tried it via Wine in Linux with no issues. Wine is also available for Mac and I would think it would work just fine as well. Way easier than VMware. You paid for the key, so you can download and install it in Wine with your serial.

www.winehq.com

As for your recipes, what they said. I always back mine up online. You can always save your recipes (one file) and email them to yourself for backup.

Hmmm, I've never used WINE on a Mac only in Linux. On the other hand the "Unity" feature in VMWare Fusion is pretty cool.

Hmmm, I've never used WINE on a Mac only in Linux. On the other hand the "Unity" feature in VMWare Fusion is pretty cool.

Your MAC is basically just a Unix machine with a pretty GUI running on it. The majority of *nix apps have been ported to the Mac because of this.

Your MAC is basically just a Unix machine with a pretty GUI running on it. The majority of *nix apps have been ported to the Mac because of this.

This I know, however I didn't know there was a port to OSX for WINE. I did find DARWINE after a quick Google Search. Virtualization IMHO is just so much more flexible than something like WINE, and with the ease of use of the commercial packages out there, regular consumers that are not very tech savvy can use it relatively easily. But I digress...

Everyone has been great here, but the first stop for this question would have been beersmith.com You can post on the relevant thread in the forum and the author of the program will answer you directly. He is very helpful.

This I know, however I didn't know there was a port to OSX for WINE. I did find DARWINE after a quick Google Search. Virtualization IMHO is just so much more flexible than something like WINE, and with the ease of use of the commercial packages out there, regular consumers that are not very tech savvy can use it relatively easily. But I digress...

Yea it's great, but for someone who just wanted to run BeerSmith it's a little overkill. If they would get more use out of it, virtualization may be the way to go.

Yea it's great, but for someone who just wanted to run BeerSmith it's a little overkill. If they would get more use out of it, virtualization may be the way to go.

I agree. I've run BeerSmith in Linux before, and it is way quicker and less of a resource hog to launch it with Wine than it ever was firing up an entire VM on my machine.

Though I will give you that fact that setting up wine and making apps work can be a royal pain in the @$$....but once it's setup you should be good to go. Though I suppose like everything else, use whatever works best for you :D

Back