Brewing with Tunas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgeW

Reaction score
Hello ALL,
I have access to an abundant supply of prickly pear tunas. I am turning to the group for ideas (other than the one in Charlie's book) as to a good brew using them.
I know the timing as to when to add them is also a good topic for discussion and is most definately welcome.
I am not opposed to trying anything that will produce a good final product. If it turns out well I will be entering it into our local club competetion.
Cheers!
georgeW

"tuna" "Charlie"

tuna2.jpg

You want to put that in your beer?:cross: :cross:

Sorry, I'm not being helpful.

Juice them and put the juice into primary. About 1/2 gallon per five gallons. I made a batch of Prickly Pear Blonde last year and it was fantastic. Bright pink though. My brother in law called it cheerleader beer. It didn't stop him from drinking a lot of it though.
Today just so happens to be brewday and guess what I'm making ten gallons of?

I'll do it tonight. I'm at work now with no access to my recipe book but it was an extract with steeping last year and yesterday was a minimash. I should have just done all grain and simplified.

Prickly Pear Blonde

5 gallon extract with steeping grains.

6lbs United Canadian Light Extract
12 oz. Crystal 10
1.5 oz. Liberty Hops (60 min)
.5 oz Liberty Hops (10 min)
8 cups Prickly Pear Juice
1 Whirlflock Tab
California Ale Yeast WLP001

OG ~ 1.050

Again, this beer was great and unique but an all grain blonde with the delicate flavour of the Tuna would be so much better

Back