Brewing with Spices and, Garlic?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julioohara

Reaction score
Hi Homebrew forum,
Havent bee here in a while but I'm back :rockin: I just ordered my ingredients to build up my next batch of beer (IPA)

Now, I want to add some spices and I came across this yellow curry paste (Mae Ploy, product of Thailand) that is free of preservatives and is yellow to minimize the effect on SRM on my IPA. It has many interesting ingredients that could add an amazing touch to my finished beer product (corriander seed, cumin, turmeric, lemongrass, chili, kafir lime peel, etc) however, 2 of the ingredients that seem odd are SHALLOTS and GARLIC :confused:

My question: Has anybody here brewed with these before? If used in small amounts will they add a pleasant, drinkable taste to my beer (based on experience?)? I've read an article here before over a beer with garlic, but the guy was using greater amounts according to the recipe...

What do you guys think?

Could be good. Just be sure to start out with small doses and work your way up by taste. Curry and garlic are quite potent. If you do go with it let us know how it turns out.

thanks for the ideas guys, I blended a small portion of the curry paste with an IPA yesterday (La Cumbre Elevated IPA) and in a small dose it smelled and tasted great, but as I added a little more of the curry, the shallots definetely came out, thinking I might do what Ballast Point did and pick out the main ingredients in the paste and add them 5 to 10 minutes into the boil. As far as the curry paste, I might as well cook a dish to pair along with my beer in a month or so.

Could be good. Just be sure to start out with small doses and work your way up by taste. Curry and garlic are quite potent. If you do go with it let us know how it turns out.

Im really hoping I can pull this off DrunkleJon, I am a Thai food fanatic and would like to pull off that essence into my beer! I will try to do a small batch of the beer with fresh ingredients plus curry, and then the other with the paste to see which one I like best! Thanks again for the positive comments, Cheers :mug:

Ballast point made a curry beer that got some good reviews:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/ballast-point-indra-kunindra/150262/

I don't think they used garlic and shallots.

I was going to post that beer as well. We were in San Diego a couple months ago and dropped by there. That beer was awesome.

I would seriously email them and see if you could get basic proportions of all the spices they added. It was pretty damn perfect IMO.

I would be scared of Garlic. Didn't Magic Hat make a garlic beer that supposedly never made it out of the warehouse it was so bad?

I was going to post that beer as well. We were in San Diego a couple months ago and dropped by there. That beer was awesome.

I would seriously email them and see if you could get basic proportions of all the spices they added. It was pretty damn perfect IMO.

I would be scared of Garlic. Didn't Magic Hat make a garlic beer that supposedly never made it out of the warehouse it was so bad?

I wouldn't know about Magic Hat's garlic beer, but I got to mix a bit of that paste into an IPA and the shallots made it bad, I cant imagine how bad the garlic would be :(
I'll give the email a try with them, I work at a beer/gourmet store and I noticed the spice section was awesome! I am gonna try to make a blend that works fine and add it to my boiling wort, see how that comes out as well ;-)

Back