brewing with oatmeal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ygerchman

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I have a question about brewing stout beer with oatmeal. Maybe someone has experience with it?
I wanna know when i have to add it and how much for 20 liters?
Thank you all
Yoav

Usually you would add a pound or two to a 5 gallon batch. I think oatmeal needs enzymes from the base malt to actually convert. However, you might get some of the oat properties nonethless.

When I brew AG I use precooked oats, or what we call "quick" oats. However, this last batch I tossed a couple of cartons in the grains and crushed before I realized someone in my house had bought "old fashioned" oats. We'll see what happens...

I've used old fashioned oats before and they worked well. Put them through a protein rest then mashed with the rest of the stout grains. Palmer's book has a brief section on using oats in brewing if you're interested. May want to throw a few rice hulls in too if your oats get above 10% of your grain bill.

I brewed a beautiful stout with very poor head retention(that I never quite figured out) with this recipe from Randy Mosher:
2.3kg wheat,1.8kg munich, 1.4kg Lager, 0.7kg medium crystal, 170g debittered black,227g porridge oats-baked at 150C for about 30mins until smelling like cookies. Oats added to mash with everything else and mashed at 66.5degC

You'd mash them with the other grains- if you add them to the kettle with the wort, you'd make oatmeal.

for not quick cook oats pre-cooking them can help with extraction rates. I had some steel cut oats that I did two batches with. One I just did a long protein rest to get them going - the other I pre-cooked and added to my grain. I seem to have gotten more of the slippery, silky mouth feel from the cooked ones.

Normally I just use quick cook oats - works great.

I have heard that it helps to do a longer mash when using oats, has anyone tried or noticed a difference doing that?

Yooper said:
Yes, sometimes you need to do a longer mash (90 minutes) to fully convert the oats.

Is that your standard? My LHBS had recommended 75 mins, that is what I did on an oatmeal stout, but if a little longer is better ill try that too.

I've been interested in brewing a stout and using oats to give a fuller body. I brew extract only, so is there an ideal way to get the benefits of oats without doing all grain or is maltodextrin simply my best bet?

I've been interested in brewing a stout and using oats to give a fuller body. I brew extract only, so is there an ideal way to get the benefits of oats without doing all grain or is maltodextrin simply my best bet?

You can use a pound of two-row (base malt) with a pound of quick oats, and put them in a bag together. Hold them in 1 gallon of water at 150-155 for 75 minutes and then you can lift out the bag. Pour a gallon of hot water (170 degrees) over it to rinse the bag, and then throw the grains away. Then bring that liquid up to a boil, and proceed with the recipe. It's easy!

Back