Brewing with gas setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter15

Reaction score
I was just wondering what the disadvantages are to trying to control the temperature purely by hand/regulator? That's my only thing hangup on this project, is the ability to control temps by hand vs. a more elaborate setup. Thanks in advance.

Not sure exactly where there could be issue with this.

Once you reach your temp, you turn off the gas.

It can be a little tricky as you get up to a boil being careful not to boil over, so tweaking the regulator is important.

As for getting your water up to strike temp, once you reach your desired temp, you turn off the gas.

thanks for the answer, but don't I need to maintain certain temperatures during the process?

thanks for the answer, but don't I need to maintain certain temperatures during the process?

Yes, but that's often done by insulating the mash tun really well and only applying small bursts of heat when/if necessary.

Granted, there are much more complicated ways of maintaining a mash temp, but insulation is the most common one. I'd guess that the majority of people use an insulated cooler for their mash and just let it sit untouched for an hour.

if you are talking about single temps, easy-mode. if you are talking about step mashes, it gets complicated. propane under a mash tun will burn your wort every time. what in particular are you trying to do?

if you are talking about single temps, easy-mode. if you are talking about step mashes, it gets complicated. propane under a mash tun will burn your wort every time. what in particular are you trying to do?

That is a pretty broad, misguided, statement.

I was thinking about using a boilermaker kettle for my mash tun, but I'm thinking it might not work real well with gas? (because of the insulating factors) Am i correct in that thought process?

I was thinking about using a boilermaker kettle for my mash tun, but I'm thinking it might not work real well with gas? (because of the insulating factors) Am i correct in that thought process?

The trick with a fired mash tun is that you MUST keep the mash moving. The easy way is via RIMS or HERMS but, it is doable with a paddle or mud mixer.

A PITA tho'.

Even if you could hook up a march pump and keep the fluid moving that way it would be much easier.

For me a rolling boil is a rolling boil. I regulate to prevent boil over.

As far as the mash goes, unless your mash tun is paper thin, I doubt you'll have to directly heat it. Making sure you hit your strike temp and mash temp are important. When I don't hit them right away, I add enough boiling water to get there. If there mash is a little thin it hasn't seemed to be a big deal.

Back