Brewing with Beach Plums; anyone? ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonRogue

Reaction score
As this summer has been quite hot and sunny, the yield of beach plums has been notable. As we fold into fall with the apple crop pressed for cider, I've wondered what a beach plum cider would be like. While I have used a vast number of fruits before, I haven't used beach plums nor have I been able to find others that have done so (besides a lone Texan extolling the virtues of a three year aged beach plum wine).

While I've committed myself to starting the year with this (having juiced the beach plums already prior to Failicane Earl), does anyone have any experience with this? (Of course with experience, insight and advice welcomed). I am a seasoned cider brewer, but am curious what the sweet/tart beach plums may yield.

I'll post a brew recipe if the cider doesn't turn out terrible (as it may very well with the tart qualities of beach plums).

Never heard of beach plums, but if they're close to other plums then the juice by itself will be way too tart after fermentation. I think you'd have to either water it down quite a bit, or blend the plum juice with apple juice. You might be surprised at just how much acid there is in a plum. You could also try a plum wine or even a plum melomel. I made a plum melomel & it turned out to be really tasty after 3 years. Good luck with your plum juice. Regards, GF.

So I just bottled the beach plum cider and I am pretty happy with the results. I used an ale yeast rather than a champagne yeast for the first time, and had a gallon of beach plum juice to four gallons of apple cider (pressed and distributed from the local orchard sans potassium sorbate); not bitter at all. The plum is easily caught on the nose, but it's flavor isn't as bitter as I had anticipated (no need for purchasing lactose).

When it's wrapped up in bottle conditioning I'll offer a more formal recipe.

Maybe it's due to using an ale yeast rather than a champagne yeast, but this turned out quite well. I am going to post a recipe if there are any other interested beach plum brewers along the north east coast.

The color is stunning and this tastes better than I thought I would; certainly not nearly as dry as prior batches; I'd venture to say even a bit sweeter.

Back