Brewing with all munich malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tmeister

Reaction score
All I have is munich malt and I want to brew something with it, without making a trip to the store. I want to do a lager with bavarian lager yeast. and I will use Hallertau Tradition hops.
Does anyone have any experience with doing a all munich grain bill? How will this beer turn out? I'm not sure, but I'm thinking about trying it.

I'm assuming it's light munich? If so you can use 100% in a batch and it will turn out great.

What hop schedule were you thinking?

Personally I like this done with similar hop schedule and IBU's of a czech pils recipe. (40 IBU range) and mashed around 150F-150F.

Alternately you can follow a similar recipe to a Vienna lager or a Munich lager.

Very malty, beyond bock:rolleyes:. Some Maibocks (like Hofbräu) are all Munich, so I think it will be fine.

It looks like you are making a Munich Dunkel to me. It is a great style. I made one with 9.5 lbs of light Munich, .25 lb of special carafa 2, and .5 lb of Melanoidin.

I have some 1-gallon batches fermenting right now and two of them are all-Munich. I'll let you know how they turn out; I don't think I'll be tasting them for another 3-4 weeks though.

10 or 11 lbs of dark munich malt and 1 oz of tenninger hops breweded with the augistenier lager yeast.

Its one of the best beers I've made, supprizingly its very drinkable. It has a well bananced flavor with a hint of hops. The finish isn't too dry nor too sweet. Its something I could have 5 or 6 of.

I would put it under Munich Dunkel and not a Bock....

I like brewing with munich (light organic from Gambrinus). I did a cream stout with munich as the base malt and it is terrific. Am getting ready to brew a pale ale with Munich as the base malt.

Awesome, thanks for the oppinions. It is light munich. Maybe I'll do 10.5 lbs. and 1oz 7% AA Organic Hallertau Tradition hops at 60 min. I'l be using a Bavarian Lager strain. This should give me a great malty beer with little bitterness. I love malty beers like bocks and oktoberfests.
If anyones interested I run about 78 % efficiency and hope to land around 1.051

Back