Brewing tomorrow at 6pm should I punch the wyeast pouch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

detz

Reaction score
It's 3pm now and I'm brewing tomorrow at 6pm so should I start the wyeast process now?

Unless you are making a starter I would wait until you start brewing. Get all your tools and ingredients out and ready to go then pull that puppy out of the fridge and smack it, then let it sit on the counter to swell while you brew and it will be ready to go by the time your wort is cooled.

It only needs a few hours, not 27.

Should I keep it in the fridge?

Keep it in the fridge until you smack it. If you have already smacked it I would put in the fridge once it has swelled a bit no need to have it swelled and sitting at room temp for 24 hours.

I always smack the day before I pitch to give it plenty of time.

This can be a good idea if you are worried about the age and viability of your pack as it may give you time to get another pack before the LHBS closes. However, you are not doing your yeast any favors by activating far in advance. Think of the moment it reaches max swelling like pitching a starter at high krausen.

NordeastBrewer77 said:
Yeah, don't you smack it before you brew? That's like rule #2 right behind rdwhahb.

I heard it would make me go blind so I abstained.

This can be a good idea if you are worried about the age and viability of your pack as it may give you time to get another pack before the LHBS closes. However, you are not doing your yeast any favors by activating far in advance. Think of the moment it reaches max swelling like pitching a starter at high krausen.

Agreed. I usually make starters. Smack the yeast the night before, so 18 hrs or so. Some strains take that long to swell significantly. Conversely, I've smacked 2 hrs before pitching and had the same result as other times. I think those smack packs are more so us brewers feel better about the yeast we pitch than anything else.

Smack that ***** up like it owes you money!! Put it in a warm (70 degree) place and let it swell up. Don't forget to shake!

Back