Brewing the Hangover out of the Beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure they do, we here drink an abnormal amount. We just like to let the yeast have their share before we do :mug:

For me out of the BMC group I don't touch Bud stuff any more b/c it hurts more the next day than Miller.

I have read that Bud leaves high enough acetaldehyde to exceed the flavor threshold (IIRC, 6 ppm) for a "crispness," not unlike a granny smith apple. But what I read is that it isnt enough to do much; your liver processes ethanol and that is where it comes from.

If you skip just one step in the brewing process I promise you'll have a hangover free beer! :ban:

Are you referring to Sparging and the risk of releasing headache causing Tannins into the Wort by doing so?

You both are probably right as that is a much funnier answer. Leave it to me to over analyze. Thanks. I'll just get back to RDWHAHB ...

Guiness is famously a low alcohol beer. So if you think Guiness doesn't give you a hangover, it might be because you consume less booze per beer than with other beers. Also, Guiness (and stouts in general) tends to be a sippin' beer. So slower intake plus lower ABV = less hangover

There is an old theory about champagne that might factor in. Cheap champagne delivers a far worse headache than the good stuff due to the fact that the cheap stuff is heavily carbonated and it pushes the booze into you faster. Or something along those lines. If there is any truth to it, then high carbonation may give you a worse headache.

So... Brew a session beer (lower alchohol). Brew it cold (no bad booze). Brew it light in color (no tannins). Manage your carbonation levels (no Andre).

The problem with this question is there are a great number of brewing substances that cause a hangover, including the fruit of the labor itself (ethanol). Anecdotally, having friends in the medical profession, I've had water added to my blood stream artificially after drinking. This of course predicatbly reduces the experienced hangover, but it does not completely cure it.

Moderation is always going to be the BEST cure. But not always the practical cure.

That being the case, from a drinker's perspective, we want to consume only the amount of ethanol to cause the desired effect and no more. We want to consume a sufficient amount of water (to dilute the after effect of ethanol) and vitamins--particularly B vitamins, to lessen the negative effects.

From a brewer's perspective the obvious is to limit the amount of ethanol. This isn't always desirable as it also limits some of the perceived benefits of drinking. To make drinkable "effective" beer we need to: lessen congeners (found commonly in dark alcohols but not necessarily dark beers), limit fusel alcohols, lessen the carbohydrate content of our beers and maintain an acceptable amount of electrolytes in our beer.

Reasons against limiting ethanol are obvious. Have you ever drank a low ABV beer? Not only does it taste bad, but it also does not cause any sort of pleasant inebriation.

1) Congeners are substances found in dark alcohols (dark rum and whiskey) and not in light alcohols (vodka and gin). The difference between the spirits is obviously the color. Other than that, dark alcohols are commonly aged in Oak barrels. Apparently that is hangover producing (I can't say why). They also tend to have a higher sugar content, which is probably an additive to hangovers. The lesson is to limit free (unfermented) sugar in your brew.

2) Fusel alcohols, along with the "heads" of fermentation are the non-desirable types of alcohol other than ethanol. Many types of alcohol exist (at least 18), the one we desire is known as ethanol. Readers may also be familiar with methanol and isopropol. These area both alcohols, but when metabolized have negative effects on a person. A discussion of the types of alcohol exists here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol. A brewer should aim to minimize the number of fusel alcohols while producing ethanol. A key control to this is a careful watch of fermentation temperatures. Typically a cooler temperature is better, but each yeast strain has a preference.

3)Commercial yeast strains always have an average attenuation advertised with them. In overly simplified terms, this number represents the amount of fermentable sugars that are actually converted to alcohol. The higher the number, the lower sugar content in the final brew. This will obviously have drastic effect on the final brew of the beer if the intent is something sweet. Still, the higher the carbohydrate (read sugar) content of the final brew, the greater the hangover effects.

4) Adding electrolytes, known more commonly as salts, may help the consumer. I don't known of anyone in the brewing community who presently does this, but there are theoretical beers which are hydrating by themselves. http://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/scifi/scientists-create-beer-hydrates-drink-alcoholics-rejoice.html. I have yet to see one of these, but I would love to see the homebrewing community create one!

change your liver so it doesnt metabolize alcohol into Acetaldehyde then drink 30 or 40 liters of water and then just realize for every up there is a down really...nothing worth doing doesn't give at least a bit of a hangover

Big glass of water and some asprin before you go to sleep.Gatorade and a mcdonalds cheese burger when you wake up = no hangover.Sounds stupid,but try it.works everytime.

That's great advice for destroying your liver. Horrible advice if you don't want to die early.

That's great advice for destroying your liver. Horrible advice if you don't want to die early.

I always hold my beer at 150F for an hour after fermentation and before cold crashing......... This drives off the methanol, and makes a big difference...........

Aside from that, B vitamins and lots of water make a huge difference.... and make you piss yellow.

H.W.

I always hold my beer at 150F for an hour after fermentation and before cold crashing......... This drives off the methanol, and makes a big difference...........

Aside from that, B vitamins and lots of water make a huge difference.... and make you piss yellow.

H.W.

I was referring to his advice of taking aspirin after binge drinking, which is pretty much the worst possible thing you can do to your liver. If you did that regularly, you could expect to have liver failure in the near future (or cirrhosis of the liver or something similar).

worlddivides- It's actually acetaminophen(Tylenol) plus alcohol that can lead to liver damage. Aspirin is OK.

Drinking a SMALL amount of alcohol while taking the prescribed amount of Aspirin shouldn't cause liver damage, but this thread is talking about hangovers, which pretty much don't happen if you're drinking the amount of alcohol that's okay while taking Aspirin (generally written on the label to be three standard drinks).

Besides, a study by the American Medical Association found that aspirin actually slows the rate that your body metabolizes alcohol, making the effects of the alcohol last longer, which would just be another angle for not taking it when drinking.

So, I'll grant you that Aspirin isn't as bad as Tylenol, but it will still cause liver damage with binge drinking.

Back