Brewing terms in everyday life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asidrane

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The other day I caught myself about to tell my wife that I needed to rack the clothes to the dryer. I had a chuckle and started to think what other brewing terms could be used in real life?

I sparge myself every morning before I go to work.

(I shower, in case you didn't understand).

My wife and I make fresh pizza dough for pizza night on Fridays. This afternoon, she was measuring the dry yeast and the jar ran out. I asked if she needed me to get another jar so she didn't underpitch.

I occasionally find myself thinking of concentrations in terms of gravity, and of racking things...

What about the other way around?

Like:
"Last night, I picked up that blonde you were telling me about. I was actually kind of disappointed. Not nearly as full-bodied as I expected...pretty much flat."
Good head though, right?
"No, actually, none at all..."

I had to go out yesterday and still had a full cup of coffee. I don't like pouring from my mug to my travel mug because it always spills. I ended up contemplating racking the coffee to the secondary for about three minutes.

I walked into a conversation where a coworker was talking about pitching. I immediately said, "Oh, I didn't know you're a brewer."

My response was, "No, I'm a pitcher..." followed by a puzzled look. Apparently he's on a softball team.

Similar to the coffee brewing comment... I was making some rice the other night and when I added the rice to the boiling water I felt like I was mashing in. Wanted to sparge it at the end but decided it wouldn't make for a good meal

I've got a coworker who likes to think of himself as somewhat of a gangsta.

While I'm used to it now, when he first started working and saying OG (Old gangsta, for you old farts) I caught myself thinking "No way that guy is brewing anything"

BBKing said:
I've got a coworker who likes to think of himself as somewhat of a gangsta.

While I'm used to it now, when he first started working and saying OG (Old gangsta, for you old farts) I caught myself thinking "No way that guy is brewing anything"

Sounds like more of a wanksta than a gangsta, OG= original gangsta, not old gangsta

Similar to OG, we refer to ready-to-sell product as finished goods (just like the rest of the world does) but everytime I see FG in an email, I think final gravity.

my mom and her husband got a wine kit for christmas and just recently racked it over. their stopper didnt fit, but when my mom siad the bung was too smal for the bunghole, I lost it.

i was making spaghetti sauce the other night and SWMBO was giving me greif b/c I hadn't added any oregano or basil. I told her i was dry spicing, she just rolled her eyes and said she'll be glad when we move and I have my own beer room, and maybe I'll start acting normal

I was at work and I heard a guy use the term "ferment for a week" and nearly had a heart attack and stopped in my tracks. It turned out he was talking about making Amish Friendship Bread...

I also got weird looks when I told people how much propane I go through. I gave up explaining that I brew beer because people think it's odd somehow...

I was at the doctor talking about the results of a urine sample. I was dehydrated. He indicated that the specific gravity was really high...I understood...

sweet_corn said:
I was at the doctor talking about the results of a urine sample. I was dehydrated. He indicated that the specific gravity was really high...I understood...

At least you didn't tell he to see where the final gravity finishes out at.

Whenever my wife helps me bottle she tells me to stick it in the bunghole and give it a good stroke. I usually wanna just stick it in and get to work, but she makes me clean and sanitize it first so we dont get any infections. I think she loves my auto siphon more than me. Keeps her from having to suck start.

I get my words a little mixed up at times...

Yesterday morning I was sitting at the breakfast table with SWMBO
What I MEANT to say was, "Sweetheart, could you please pass me the butter"
But what came out was, "You ****ing ****, you ruined my life".

Funny how that happens.

I mashed in some strong coffee this morning,but had to back off on the chicory addition so the cream sparge would get higher efficiency. And,about the Original Gangsta bit...My family is from upper Bavaria. So I guess that makes me "south central".

Whenever my wife helps me bottle she tells me to stick it in the bunghole and give it a good stroke. I usually wanna just stick it in and get to work, but she makes me clean and sanitize it first so we dont get any infections. I think she loves my auto siphon more than me. Keeps her from having to suck start.

Wife almost died when I told her that one.

Latest posts

Back