brewing stupidity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liquiditynerd

Reaction score
K so luckily the porter is a late bloomer in the new 6.5G carboy. last time the cork blew out of the 5G, even with a blow off tube. the new headroom for the krausen is unnecessary because after 4 days. nada. but while i was out of town the temp dropped to about 53. hopefully everyone got sleepy and we're good to go? good news is the mead in the secondary enjoyed the cooler temp and kicked off with some activity. the crazy event was with the experiment. thats right experiment. i brewed a resession ale, i reboiled everything added a bunch of leftover stuff that has accumilated and Viola, bouncing bubbling buckets, somethings alive in there.

anyone ever tried second run ale? Ive read about it in historical accounts but dont recall a discussion (at least recently) and no, i dont know what the OG was, daammit, I was too focused on the real deal to take a reading.

I did a 2nd runnings ale this summer after my first AG attempt resulted in a lot of sugars left in the mash tun. I added a little leftover hops and some extra extract that I had. Good enough for government work.

ah, AG. I have yet to make the great leap. i used a sack of DME that was starting to look like a giant piece of taffy. (it's humid down here) the bubbler went nuts on day 1 but that might not mean a whole lot. I was reading about water quality in the middle ages and they would use the second runnings as their lunch drink and the third runnings as the kids drink. the boiling, yeast, and hops was more for sanitation than beer purity laws.

ps. the yeasties woke up after a breif swirl and a closed window. we have a forecast of 80's and sunshine outside which will put the closet at 62F.

thanks for the terminology. I found the threads about this and read through. I think that will push me over the fence to the greener grass of AG! I just hate putting that much grain into the mulch pile without getting what ever I can out of it.

Back