Brewing Sober???!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpoder

Reaction score
20 minutes left in the mash and I am cracking my first beer (homebrew belgian quad). I usually try to wait until at least I start the boil, but the beer was calling to me from the fridge. I started thinking about it...I don't think I've ever brewed a batch without imbibing a few...(occasionally a few too many :drunk:)

Anyone here brew without drinking during?

Not usually, but I don't get drunk either. Just a couple of pints for "inspiration" during the process.

I'll be sober during my next brew. I usually drink through the duration, enough to get a small buzz, but I'm tired of making stupid mistakes like missing times and temps. Have been known to open up a quick release connector with an open valve, pouring hot wort on my hands. Not a bad way to sober up.

I usually have a few during the process, never enough to get loaded though.

If I am brewing or bottling or kegging or whatever I wait until after to drink.

For brewing I may have a normal strength beer or small pour of a strong beer during the chill. I like to walk down to the local beer bar after a brew day so it's not too hard to be patient.

I typically have a few on brew day but the brew before last I was really hungover from NYE so I brewed completely sober. Only water. Lots and lots of water!

My rule is not to have one until the boil kettle is going. Only time my brother broke the rule he started chilling before the big barley wine was at correct gravity. Could have kicked his a$$. It still hit 10.9%. I was aiming for 12.

20 minutes left in the mash and I am cracking my first beer (homebrew belgian quad). I usually try to wait until at least I start the boil, but the beer was calling to me from the fridge. I started thinking about it...I don't think I've ever brewed a batch without imbibing a few...(occasionally a few too many :drunk:)

Anyone here brew without drinking during?

Nope. Nary a drop. When I began brewing, I'd drink when the boil began. After a few mis-steps, I've given up drinking until all chores have been completed.

I have tried both ways, and although I'd like to think I'm a clear thinker with a couple of beers in me, I have learned otherwise. I seem to always forget something or other at some point.

So yes, I usually do have a beer or two, but not it's more like 1 during the boil and another while cleaning up. Getting a buzz is out of the question, because at that point the cleanup process usually gets put off due to feeling lazy.

I have tried both ways, and although I'd like to think I'm a clear thinker with a couple of beers in me, I have learned otherwise. I seem to always forget something or other at some point.

So yes, I usually do have a beer or two, but not it's more like 1 during the boil and another while cleaning up. Getting a buzz is out of the question, because at that point the cleanup process usually gets put off due to feeling lazy.

QFT! I've got to scrub out my boil pot today from last weekend:eek:

Depends. If I have people over then we will all drink beer. If I am solo, I usually don't drink until after clean up.

I used to drink through-out the proccess, then wonder why I took crap notes, never felt like finishing clean-up, and rarely got the consistency I was looking for.

Now I don't touch it until clean up is done. Nothing better than a successful day of brewing, followed by sitting in the recliner drinking that first beer of the day knowing your done ith what you wanted to accomplish.

I don't have solid rules I follow, but usually I don't have a beer until the chiller is going, then I have a couple. I agree with the fact that when I drank from the start, I made too many stupid mistakes. so I hold off til the final steps, unless there are friends over, then I may start a bit earlier, but I try to stick to one or two throughout the brew in those cases.

I usually start brewing in the morning like around 8, so I don't crack a beer until at least 1..

Same here. I've been starting the strike water around 9am lately. Typically, I might have a beer sometime in the mid-boil. Then another after chilling.

Back