Brewing Small Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abbas

Reaction score
I am going on my 3rd brew now. I've brewed only with a buddy of mine, but would like to try some smaller trial batches in between our big brew days. We are brewing all grain 5 gallon batches, and I would love to do something around 2 gallon batches during the interim.

Here are a few of the questions I have:
1. What size fermenters should I use (some links to specific products would be amazing!)
2. Most recipes are for 5 gallon batches. Would I need to use 2/5 the amount of materials to adjust for a 2 gallon batch?
3. We have used both wyeast and dry packets. Obviously I will not need a full packet for a 2 gallon batch, unless I am making a high abv beer. What steps would I need to take to get the correct yeast amount?
4. Any tips or tricks to making small batches?

Thanks for the help!

1. I used a glass 3 gallon carboy for awhile. Then graduated to https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brew-bucket-mini
keg in a 2.5 gallon https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html

2. I divide recipes by number of gallons.. so a 5 gallon batch divide everything by 5, then multiply by how many gallons you want to make.

3. If you are not using a yeast calc I suggest you do. Even with 2.5-3 gallon batches I make starters or pitch two packs of liquid yeast depending on what the yeast calculator says.

4. Depending on your current set up you might want to think if you need additional gear. I use a stock pot for my 1gal batches because 1 gallon in my normal brew kettle is like 1 inch from the bottom.

1. There are 3.5 gallon buckets that are just the right size for "half batches." You can get empty icing buckets from your local bakery that are 4 gallons IIRC. You can probably fit 2 up in a regular sized fridge for fermentation control.
  2. Yup!
  3. Use a yeast calculator like Homebrewdad's or Yeastcalc. I'd still make a starter and save the rest out for subsequent batches or take to your friend for the 5 gallon ones. Starters for liquid yeast are not just to ramp up the cell count, they are also to rejuvenate the colony, increasing their vitality. For dry yeast, use half a pouch. Rehydrating is still best. Fold over the top flap 2x and tape shut. Store in a small ziplock bag in the freezer for the next small batch. Keep good sanitation, and you're golden.
  4. Mash in a large pot, put on the lid, and stick in a preheated but turned off oven for an hour. Step mashes are very doable in that pot too. Lauter by pouring through a sieve. Sparge and repeat. Or use a BIAB bag.

My favoured batch size fills a 3 gallon keg.
Depending on recipe I start with approx 3 gallon mash and about 2 gallons sparge.
With grain loss, boil off, kettle rub and fermentor yeast cake it comes out just about right for the 3 gallon keg. If there is anything left it can go in a bottle or 2 (usually not.)
As for yeast I use a full packet. If brewing ales it will not drastically over pitch. For lager you'll be making a starter anyway so it will just make that process easier (maybe requiring 1 less stage.)
I have recently been using a sloppy slurry to get multiple batches out of 1 pack so it makes the cost much better. - so far I've had great success with this.
For recipes, I start with a straight forward 5 gallon batch take 3/5ths of everything. I put this into brewers friend software and tweak if necessary to get the desired outcome.
For a fermenter I use a 7Gallon SS brewtech bucket and it works great. I never rack to secondary and condition in the keg so the additional headspace is not a problem at all - it just means I don't get blowoff issues.

Small batches are great. I use 3 gallon carboys, but sometimes i go even smaller. I recently brewed a 144 oz. black IPA. I put it into 3 Simply OJ bottles. Drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and they work fine. I used 3 different dry hop combos to test for when i do a big batch.

1. I used a glass 3 gallon carboy for awhile. Then graduated to https://www.ssbrewtech.com/products/brew-bucket-mini
keg in a 2.5 gallon https://www.morebeer.com/products/torpedo-ball-lock-kegs.html

2. I divide recipes by number of gallons.. so a 5 gallon batch divide everything by 5, then multiply by how many gallons you want to make.

3. If you are not using a yeast calc I suggest you do. Even with 2.5-3 gallon batches I make starters or pitch two packs of liquid yeast depending on what the yeast calculator says.

4. Depending on your current set up you might want to think if you need additional gear. I use a stock pot for my 1gal batches because 1 gallon in my normal brew kettle is like 1 inch from the bottom.

I didn't even know SS made those small capacity fermenters. A few months down the road I plan on buying a 15 gallon brew kettle from them, and definitely one of these fermenters. I haven't kegged yet and neither has my friend so that's an entirely different topic I need to look at.

I don't even know where to begin with the yeast. It's something that I am looking into, but it's a topic that I haven't been able to fully understand. My friend that I brew with knows very little about yeast and I havent found anybody that has been too helpful in explaining the steps. I will likely start another thread about this.

We have a ten gallon brew kettle that we are currently using, but it would be nice if I could get a smaller kettle that I could place on the stovetop for these small batches. Do you think a 5 gallon brew kettle would be sufficient for these 2.5-3 gallon batches?

1. There are 3.5 gallon buckets that are just the right size for "half batches." You can get empty icing buckets from your local bakery that are 4 gallons IIRC. You can probably fit 2 up in a regular sized fridge for fermentation control.
  2. Yup!
  3. Use a yeast calculator like Homebrewdad's or Yeastcalc. I'd still make a starter and save the rest out for subsequent batches or take to your friend for the 5 gallon ones. Starters for liquid yeast are not just to ramp up the cell count, they are also to rejuvenate the colony, increasing their vitality. For dry yeast, use half a pouch. Rehydrating is still best. Fold over the top flap 2x and tape shut. Store in a small ziplock bag in the freezer for the next small batch. Keep good sanitation, and you're golden.
  4. Mash in a large pot, put on the lid, and stick in a preheated but turned off oven for an hour. Step mashes are very doable in that pot too. Lauter by pouring through a sieve. Sparge and repeat. Or use a BIAB bag.

Do you think that a 3 gallon glass carboy would leave enough head space for a 2.5 gallon batch?

I make a lot of 2.5 gallon batches, I do have a 3 gallon carboy but when that’s full I use a keg or a 5 or 6.5 gallon carboy.

So even for small batches you are using 5-6.5 gallon fermenters at times? Do you think this is leaving too much headspace or is that negligible?

My favoured batch size fills a 3 gallon keg.
Depending on recipe I start with approx 3 gallon mash and about 2 gallons sparge.
With grain loss, boil off, kettle rub and fermentor yeast cake it comes out just about right for the 3 gallon keg. If there is anything left it can go in a bottle or 2 (usually not.)
As for yeast I use a full packet. If brewing ales it will not drastically over pitch. For lager you'll be making a starter anyway so it will just make that process easier (maybe requiring 1 less stage.)
I have recently been using a sloppy slurry to get multiple batches out of 1 pack so it makes the cost much better. - so far I've had great success with this.
For recipes, I start with a straight forward 5 gallon batch take 3/5ths of everything. I put this into brewers friend software and tweak if necessary to get the desired outcome.
For a fermenter I use a 7Gallon SS brewtech bucket and it works great. I never rack to secondary and condition in the keg so the additional headspace is not a problem at all - it just means I don't get blowoff issues.

Thanks for the advice!

So all that extra headspace during your primary is not an issue?

Small batches are great. I use 3 gallon carboys, but sometimes i go even smaller. I recently brewed a 144 oz. black IPA. I put it into 3 Simply OJ bottles. Drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and they work fine. I used 3 different dry hop combos to test for when i do a big batch.

I like the OJ bottle idea. Definitely a cost effective way to do it.

My thoughts in red.

I didn't even know SS made those small capacity fermenters. A few months down the road I plan on buying a 15 gallon brew kettle from them, and definitely one of these fermenters. I haven't kegged yet and neither has my friend so that's an entirely different topic I need to look at.

Stainless steel is nice bling, but way out of my budget.

I don't even know where to begin with the yeast. It's something that I am looking into, but it's a topic that I haven't been able to fully understand. My friend that I brew with knows very little about yeast and I havent found anybody that has been too helpful in explaining the steps. I will likely start another thread about this.

Research yeast. It is one of the most important parts of brewing good beer.

We have a ten gallon brew kettle that we are currently using, but it would be nice if I could get a smaller kettle that I could place on the stovetop for these small batches. Do you think a 5 gallon brew kettle would be sufficient for these 2.5-3 gallon batches?

A 5 gallon kettle is perfect. You can get a cheap one at Walmart, maybe even your grocery store for about $20 Aluminum for sure and sometime SS.

Do you think that a 3 gallon glass carboy would leave enough head space for a 2.5 gallon batch?

It's close but use a blow off tube and it's OK.

So even for small batches you are using 5-6.5 gallon fermenters at times? Do you think this is leaving too much headspace or is that negligible?

It is not a problem as long as you don't leave it in there too long. Eventually the be would get oxidized. But if you get FG, then a couple more days, then bottle the beer it should be fine.

Thanks for the advice!

See above.

I like the OJ bottle idea. Definitely a cost effective way to do it.

Not a issue at all. I never take the lid off until I'm ready to keg. I keep temperature very stable and don't cold crash in the fermentor (thus removing possibility of suck back). They have a silicon seal on the lid so once fermentation has got underway and filled the headspace with CO2 I don't see where/how oxygen can get in. The only possibility would be taking a gravity sample from the tap would draw air in the top - but since I am not brewing big beers or brews that might need a bit longer AND with only 3gallons don't want to waste too much to sampling I just leave it until it's unlikely not to have finished before keging and take 1 FG sample at that time.

Where I can see limitations are where you really do need to take multiple gravity readings or if you want to dry hop or other add ins, oak etc...
Even then there are ways around these problems....
1. You could always dry hop in the keg
2. Use the bucket for primary and rack to a smaller secondary to age with the add in's (such as Oak.)
3. Make a CO2 bank/trap so the suck back from cold crashing or sampling is CO2 not air.

And the really big advantage is I still have a fermentor for a 5Gallon batch if the need arrises.

They have 3-gal PET (plastic) carboys on MoreBeer around $20-25 each. I love the convenience of having a spigot. They also have a 3-gal Fermonster (not ported, but wide mouth).

For small batches here's what I do:
1 gal batches on my stove in a stainless 5 gal pot with BIAB (from wilsebrewer) no sparge. Really easy brew day.
I use 1 gal glass carboys.
I don't even need to think about making a starter for batches of this size. I pitch the entire package.
The kettle can be used as a bottling bucket.
My yield is 9x 12oz bottles.

I use the Fastferment 3 gallon conical for 2.5 gallon batches. It's a great fermenter that allows you to dump yeast and trub without needing a secondary( I like to age Belgians before bottle). Before I got that, i used a brewdemon 3 gallon conical. Also a good piece of equipment. Both types can be found under 50 bucks om Amazon.

Back