Brewing School

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ATXweirdobrew

Reaction score
Lately I have been looking to go back to school and just started doing research into going into a brewing school. I really enjoy my day job but enjoy craftbeer and homebrewing more. I know there is a huge difference between brewing at home and at a microbrewery in regards to techniques and physical labor. I also know that when you start out to be prepared to work long hours with low pay. I just cannot see myself at my day job for the rest of my working life. I need some advice on two things.

1. Would doing some free volunteer work at a local brewery (there are alot in my lovely city of Austin, Tx) be good BEFORE I start school or would it be a good idea to start school first.

2. Would anybody have anything to say about the American Brewers Guild online courses? That would be perfect for me and my day job.

volunteer as much as you can, you dont have to go to school to work in a brewery. Volunteer enough and show that you will work hard and you may get a job

I also know that when you start out to be prepared to work long hours with low pay.

This is the life of a brewer. If you love it, go for it. But if not, it's a bummer.*

*According to pro brewers I've talked to; I have no pro brewing experience.

I work in a small brewpub, brewing on a sabco system. It’s a lot of work doing double full capacity batches to fill a 1BBL fermentor. It’s true if you don’t love brewing you might as well be mowing yards or fixing cars, it’s a labor intensive job. But if you love brewing the career path is very rewarding. It does not pay much, but serving your beer on draft and at festivals to patrons makes it completely worth the lack of pay. Good Luck

Back