Brewing sake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Finn

Reaction score
I couldn't seem to find a forum for this venture -- but I just picked up a packet of Koji-Kin at the local brew shop and I'm gearing up to give it a whirl. Anybody got any tips for me?

well... after some reading. It sounds absolutely disgusting. fermenting moldy rice just doesn't really sound like my cup of tea.

well... after some reading. It sounds absolutely disgusting. fermenting moldy rice just doesn't really sound like my cup of tea.

Ha ha! Not a cheesemaker, are ya?

My research has so far indicated it's a three-month process during which I have to screw with the stuff twice a day ... I wish I could get my ten bucks back but now that I've spent it, I guess I oughtta give it a try ...

Oh I love cheese! but this entire process sounds terrible. First, you get your rice nice and moldy, then, you boil it, then, you ferment the **** out of it. It sounds like you are going to end up with moldy water really. Rice is mostly basic carbohydrates anyways. After converting whatever moldy starches there are you'll be left with alcoholic mold water... ewww... Let me know how it turns out. It sounds interesting. Just not my sort of homebrew.

Join the Oregon Brew Crew and talk to Fred. He probably knows more about sake brewing than most pros.

Oh I love cheese! but this entire process sounds terrible. First, you get your rice nice and moldy, then, you boil it, then, you ferment the **** out of it. It sounds like you are going to end up with moldy water really. Rice is mostly basic carbohydrates anyways. After converting whatever moldy starches there are you'll be left with alcoholic mold water... ewww... Let me know how it turns out. It sounds interesting. Just not my sort of homebrew.

You do realize that cheese is moldy milk? And beer and wine are spoiled grains and fruits respectively?

The mold breaks down the starches in rice to sugars, same as the enzymes in the sprouting barley break down the starches in malt to fermentable sugars.

I'm not a big fan of sake but it definately does not taste moldy. The process does seem much more involved but then again if you describe all the steps required to brew beer from all grain it sounds very complex also.

Craig

Back