Brewing on Chrismas Day.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimzella

Reaction score
So I'm wondering what others who may be trying to squeeze in a brew session have to say. I have uncracked grains ready to be crushed. (recipe below) and a 1 gallon yeast starter collection chilling in the fridge. Wlp530. My question is, would it be cheating if I brewed on Christmas Eve? Or should I wait and brew on Christmas Day? ( this is more of a--- get an idea of what others do in tradition of the holiday season) so its not really a serious question,, just a question of fun and curiosity.

anyways,, Have a Happy Homebrew Holiday!!

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout
Brewer: Brian C
Style: Belgian Dark Strong Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.70 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.094 SG
Estimated Color: 24.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 21.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.4 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
14 lbs Pilsen (Dingemans) (1.6 SRM)
1 lbs Cara 45 (Dingemans) (47.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Special B (Dingemans) (147.5 SRM)
9.6 oz Aromatic Malt (Dingemans) (19.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.85 oz Cluster [8.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.24 oz Columbus (Tomahawk)
2.00 g Anise, Star (Boil 30.0 mins)
13.00 g Orange Peel, Sweet (Boil 5.0 mins)
2 lbs Inverted Sugar, Amber [Boil for 5 min]
1.00 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
1.0 pkg (White Labs #WLP530)

Mashed in at 146F for 1hr 30min
1 & 1/2 cups of sugar... inverted -amber (added 4 days into fermentation)
Lots of O2.. roughly 1min.
Fermentation started overnight.

I've been debating whether or not to squeeze out a brew too. Mainly I want to try out my new monster mill and I really want a chocolate stout on tap soon. In the end my hobby isn't really shared by my wife and daughter, it would just be dad out in the 30 degree weather brewing beer by himself during family time so here's to the New Year :mug: and a Merry Christmas!

So far, it looks like I'll be pit barbecuing a turkey on Christmas day. Dampfbier & A Bavarian hefe to wish Jesus a happy birthday with.

Good idea to brew on Christmas day. Shoots it's only me and SWMBO now a days and there is little to do after opening the few gifts we exchange.

Im probably brewing christmas day, nice and early. Its a day off any have 3 more taps to get flowing on the new kegerator.

I've brewed on the 26th the last two years. However, this year we're hosting my in-laws on Christmas Day. I may need to brew just to keep my sanity.

Mama Hello wouldn't have it plus my stuff will be here at home. I get away with a lot on Christmas, but not that I bet.

Smoking Salmon Christmas day and brewing a caramel ale on the 26th with the assistance of my Mom and her friend.....I think I know who can be doing the cleanup :)

I brewed a dunkelweissen last year on christmas morning, Baby Jesus Dunkel. After all the present opening and mimosas, we all get to do whatever we want. Won"t do it this year, but I may bottle a simcoe-citra saison modeled after Prairie Hop.

With all the running around we normally do on Christmas I have no time to brew. Once our baby knows what's going on during Christmas we wont travel as much and maybe I can get in a brew. It would be cooler if we were putting up family for a few days so I could get some company and expose my family to something I love to do. We'll see how the next few years pan out.

Merry Christmas and happy brew day!

For years swmbo has 'owned' the kitchen on the 25th but I have had free access on 24th and 26th

The kids and I will do a day of grilling and smoking on the 24th, so we could put one in charge of the turkey, one in charge of the butt and one in charge of the brew .. but 26th might be more realistic.

I would really like to make some on Christmas since I'll be alone but I'm pretty sure I'm getting some new equipment this year that may be worth waiting for. Maybe it will be a New Years Eve event for me. Happy holidays everyone.

I am hoping to get a brew in this week. Looking to make a Founder's Porter Clone.

I was just looking at the weather, it's grey and drizzle-y all week, and we have some of SWMBO's family here.

However, Friday is looking sunny and mid-50's so that's my target brew-day.

I have all the ingredients ready for a Citra pale ale that I want to brew Real Soon Now, but it won't be Christmas Day. My parents and the kids will be over and I will be grilling something. I do love being able to grill in shorts and flip-flops on Christmas. Maybe brewing the next day.

Uh. So I was going to bottle my APA today. Took wife to lhbs to get priming sugar... And she decided to buy me a kit they had there so I can keg!!! Ahhh. No idea what I'm doing so it will wait a day so I can read up on it tomorrow :)

Been there, done that! Rings on her fingers & getting filled up with diamonds, rubies, emeralds, sapphires....Got her the ruby, diamond & gold ring like in Kate & Leopold.:rockin:

She just got a wedding ring, and the obligatory jewelry on the honeymoon. She just hates helping me clean bottles, and the guy at the lhbs was quite convincing. I've just got a lot to learn before I get home tonight.

I lied I'm brewing tomorrow. Much to the dislike of SWMBO, but I will start at 6AM and technically this is a beer for her... (So I claim) a blonde ale and strawberry blonde ale it is! Just used my MM2 for the first time too and that thing is slick!

Well here they are... The one on the left is the original (1.098) and the one on the right is second running, plus 1/2lb of cane sugar added end of boil(1.040).

Left has wlp500 while the right has wlp530 ... I ended up changing days. I brewed last night around 8pm ended up going to bed around 3am. So I guess I brewed Christmas even and Christmas Day. I think this will be my way of brewing during the holiday seasons. Thanks for all the replies and enjoy the video.

View attachment beer2.mov

Back