Brewing on a Budget with Handicaps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptMogul

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am in my mid 80's and have developed neuropathy in my hands ( no feeling in my hands and fingers ). That being said I have to use the utmost care handling glass and hot objects. Cleaning plastic carboys was getting close to imposable so I was happy to discover the 6 gal Fermonster with its wide mouth. The first brew didnt go well. I didnt get the O ring in the cap secured correctly and it dropped into the wort. A quick dive before it sank to the bottom saved the day. A few weeks latter, cleaning the Fermonster I dropped it twice. No damage but I knew I had to have a handle. I looked on line for a clamp that would fit under the cap. I purchased two but they didnt work. Looking around the shop I found some stranded cable I had purchased to hand some light fixtures. At the flange below the cap I made a double wrap and an overhand, then a 6" piece of heat shrink tubing. Then I make a loupe with several wraps, slide the shrink wrap over and heat. At the overhand-flange, I dabbed the overhand with electrical liquid tape with a toothpick over several days. I have made over 8 brews with this setup, the overhand is still tite and liquid tape is still firm. I have lost control of this thing several times but my handle has saved the day. I am sure someone can improve on this, I look forward seeing the improvements. By the way, anyone with one of these fermenters needs to visit their hardware or hydraulic supply and pick up a few A-156 O rings, it could save your brew day.

Ed B

Attachments

• 385.jpg
    385.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 386.jpg
    386.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 26
  • 391.jpg
    391.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:
This looks like a great solution! I'm all about repurposing stuff I already have. I have a 3-gallon fermonster, and I use a Brew Hauler that I used to have on a glass carboy. It slide around a bit, but it's still very secure and the two handles are nice. I'd bet on a 6-gallon fermonster, it would be even more secure.

Nice, thanks Ed. I just picked a Fermonster up and it came without an o-ring in the box! Thanks for doing the legwork on figuring out what o-ring it uses and for the handle idea. I plan to be brewing and posting on forums well in to my 80s, so thanks for the inspiration!

Also, I’ll be in Key West in Sept, will you still have some of this beer left for me to sample? ;)

Dan

Last year my frig in the garage quit. I used to freeze a block of ice to ,cool my starters in the sink. I was forced to find another way to cool them. What I did and is now the norm is I looked at the pool for the answer. We are lucky in south Florida to enjoy our pools year around. I put a milk crate on the first step, put the 2 L starter in the crate, tied the beaker to the hand rail with # 10 electrical wire, put a rubber band around the foil wrap and within an hour it is cool ,enough to pitch.\

Dan, sorry but I have neglected to change my location to Ft Myers. after 35 years in Key West. You are more than welcome to stop in for a brew if you care to.
Palm, I checked out the Brew Hauler, it looks useable

Ed B

Attachments

• 428.jpg
    428.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12
  • 429.jpg
    429.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 430.jpg
    430.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 11