brewing my 1st beer right now

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just added bittering hops... wort smelled awesome! Do I have to stir a lot while boiling or just randomly?

Don't do what I did on my first batch and pitch the yeast when the wort was still 115F lol!

Another home brewer! Welcome to the dark side brother!

You want to stir to prevent boil over from foaming. If the foaming gets really bad you want to remove the heat source until the danger is over then return the wort to the heat. Have fun!

Just added bittering hops... wort smelled awesome! Do I have to stir a lot while boiling or just randomly?

Stir a lot when adding extract (if you're doing extract) otherwise, stir as you feel the need to.. Personally, I don't stir at all unless I am in the process of adding extract.

ETA: Listen to the previous posters. I didn't consider a boil over. I have a huge pot so it didn't occur to me to do such a thing.

I have a 35 qt pot for a partial boil, lol. I should be ok :)

I find that I don't need to stir at all during full boils in my 32qt kettle... That's with, or without, fermcap added... :D

Welome to the obsession... Now, start planning your next batch and brew it while your current one is still in primary... If you have only one primary, pick up another... IF I had my choice, I'd brew about every 2 weekends... My pipeline is so much happier when I do... :drunk:

welcome... good luck!

I used to pull my kettle completely off the stove when I was adding my extract AND when I was adding hops. I was doing partial boils and didn't want to clean up boil-overs. Once I had the additions in the kettle and thoroughly mixed, back onto the stove and away she'd go.

Nowadays, I use a keggle to boil my AG batches. I STILL turn the burner WAY down during my hop additions. I'm not worried about boil-overs, but I don't want all my hops plastered to the side of my kettle and left there as the boil creeps up the kettle. I just turn it down, add my hops, stir for a minute, turn the heat back up and let 'er rip.

Once you've gotten to your rolling boil there's not much need to stir contantly unless you're on an electric kitchen stove. If you are, then I'd stir occasionally.

sweet... consider a chiller for your next investment... then a temp controlled fridge for fermentations... then a propane burner... then a 7 gal pot... then a 10 gal cooler for your first ag batch... then a kegging system... then a keezer.... and then.... and then...

I'd put a refractometer on the list of things to get... At least get it around the time you go all grain... I'm planning on getting one as soon as possible, since it makes it so much easier to get readings while mashing, and your OG as you go into your fermenter...

I second the wort chiller. That and a really big spoon are the most useful non-essential items I have purchased so far.

sweet... consider a chiller for your next investment... then a temp controlled fridge for fermentations... then a propane burner... then a 7 gal pot... then a 10 gal cooler for your first ag batch... then a kegging system... then a keezer.... and then.... and then...

I'm going through this right now. Currently building a fermentation chamber and saving for a propane burner. So much want, so little funds :(

You'd be amazed at how many items you can build, or adapt things into becoming... Making an IC isn't difficult, and can be done for significantly less $$ than buying one. Just one example...

I have it finished and blowoff tube in. It's already bubbling in the sanitizer. Is this normal?

Without knowing what yeast you pitched, chances are it's not really doing much yet... I would expect it to be post-lag within a few hours, and going to town shortly after that. I usually have full active fermentation within 12-18 hours (most often less than that) when pitching from a starter. I've not used dry yeast in any of my beers, so I won't be able to comment from personal experience there.

I wouldn't be surprised if you get krausen within a few hours (under 12) though...

You'd be amazed at how many items you can build, or adapt things into becoming... Making an IC isn't difficult, and can be done for significantly less $$ than buying one. Just one example...

Yeah, I got the idea for the fermentation chamber when I realized that the previous home owner of my house left a bunch of lumber in the shed, including plywood. So for my total cost is $0 and I have most of the frame built, but I will need to buy the insulation and try to find a cheap AC unit, then figure out the temperature controller.

in the sanitizer???

What sanitizer did you use? Did you pour in, swish it around and pour it out? Were there just residual bubbles in there?

Pretty sure he means the end of the blowoff tube is making bubbles in a bucket of sanitzer. No cause for alarm.

So 16 hours in I have no bubbling. Main concern is a little of the yeast fell out when I opened package. Should I be concerned?

Back