Brewing in a Keg Without Cutting the Top Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobric

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've turned one of my Sanke/D type kegs into a keggle and I've got a few left over.
A guy I met who owns a brew shop told me that I can brew in the keg without having to cut the top off and when it's ready, just put the stem back in and hook it up so I can have it on tap without having to change it over and keg it.

Every time I google it I can only find instructions for making a keggle.

How can I go about doing this?

Thanks guys

I believe he was talking about fermenting in the keg, which can be done but you would still want to rack (move) it into a different keg to get the beer off the trub.

Search for fermenting in a keg and you will find what you need.

You wouldn't be able to boil in a keg without it being open, it would boil over without the added cool air from above as in an open pot or keggle.

Oh, and welcome to the site.

Last edited:
I can't think of how this would work out. If you're trying to boil in the keg, you still need to cut the top off, otherwise it would be a pain in the ass and as mentioned above, you will most likely have boilovers. If you are thinking of fermenting in the keg and then converting the vessel back into a usable keg, you probaably wouldn't want to drink it with all that trub still in the vessel (as mentioned above by @rekoob). You will still want to transfer the beer from that keg to a different keg. Are you brewing 15 gallon batches?

So I have the keggle/kettle but after that stage I can brew in the keg without cutting the top off and then transfer it to another keg later but I won't have to cut the top off the second one?

You need evaporation during the boil for several reasons. Most notably a decent OG.

Back