brewing for my wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BmillaTheBrewzilla

Reaction score
I'm getting married in July! Go me, right?

It is going to be an outdoor wedding, and I'm brewing the majority of the beer for the party. I can only do five gallon batches, so I'll be very busy over the couple months. The plan is for four different brews- two batches of each. Here are my f'ing awesome names:

-The I Do Brew (American Amber Ale)
-Love Potion Number 7-9 (Cream Ale... the wedding is July 9)
-The Hoppy Couple (IPA)
-For Better or Wheat (Hefeweizen)

I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully nobody tries one and then asks where the Miller Lite is.

I think this is a GREAAAAAAT idea. I got into homebrewing 2 years ago decided to make about 1/2 of the beer for our wedding reception with 100+ people. By the end of the evening almost all of the homebrew was gone and we still had some sam Adams and Heinie left over.

Hope this turns out well.

I'm brewing one style for my wedding in May, Belgian Golden Strong Ale! I'm only doing 10 Gallons, but at almost 8% ABV, I think that'll be enough!

I'm brewing for my girlfriend's brother's wedding. I'm going to try for 20 gallons. Her family likes their beer (as do I) and there should be 150+ people there. That's bearly a beer a person!

On another note, BmillaTheBrewzilla I dislike your avatar (especially after tonight...) :)

Awesome idea, great names, very creative! Make sure you make enough though, and I would have a BMC on hand as well.

I did all the beer for my wedding last June. It was a fantastic experience and there's nothing better than hearing people enjoying your beer and talking about how good it is. Even the non-beer drinkers!

Are you kegging or bottling? The big problem I ran into was keeping all the bottles cold before and during the wedding. I had over 200 bottles of beer, that's a lot of fridge space before the wedding. Personally, I find my beer is better after it's been in the fridge for a few days.

I am bottling. I just don't have the space or equipment to keg... although I'd like to move that direction soon.

So yeah- I'm shooting for close to 400 bottles of beer for the wedding. The wedding is out of town, so the fiancee and I are heading out a couple days early. The place we're having the wedding said they'll store the beer for a couple days. I hope it works out!

i had my homebrew at my wedding. Even had labels. (i just labeled 3 of em, the display. The beers were poured in cups by bartender, so no sense in labeling all of them)

we are cat people so they were named after our cats, bubba, banner, and hone
pale bubba ale
banner blonde
hona-weizen

I had about 75 of the pale ales, and 40 of the weizens and amber, people drank em up!

Awesome idea, great names, very creative! Make sure you make enough though, and I would have a BMC on hand as well.

My fiancee feels the same way. "We should have some Miller or Bud because some people just drink light beer." I am not sure about this. I think if the groom is really into beer, it is okay for the reception to be a place for everyone to get some practice drinking stuff that doesn't taste like water.

My thought is to get some New Glarus Spotted Cow or something as a backup to my homebrew. It is easy drinking for the BMC folks, and a good summer beer... yet still sticking with the real beer theme.

Thoughts?

My fiancee feels the same way. "We should have some Miller or Bud because some people just drink light beer." I am not sure about this.
i broke down and had bud light. But we hid it from view. someone would have to be close minded to trying homebrew AND actually ask for it.

the blonde we had though (I accidentally put amber at first!) was hit.. it was an easy drinker for BMCers.

I didn't give my guests a BMC choice, although I had a good variety among the beer I provided. I didn't have a single complaint, or hear about anybody wishing there was BMC. Now, I did offer some mixed drinks as well, so it's possible people that wanted BMC just had a mixed drink instead.

Have fun with the brewing and wedding. I did this for my wedding in August '09. I served 3 5-gallon kegs - a pilsner, Belgian pale ale, and an IPA. All were gone within 30 minutes, while we were taking pictures with the wedding party. So I only got one pint!

The rest of the night we polished off 3 1/2 more kegs of 1/2 barrel commercial offerings, including Avery's Ellie's Brown, Stella, Hazed and Infused, and Sweaty Betty blonde (in addition to all the wine). Not too many sober people at the end of that night.

Enjoy what should be the best party of your life!

It is awesome to see that so many of you have offered homebrew at your weddings! I really am just looking forward to a big, awesome party. I'm seriously committed to brewing A LOT for the big day- I have quite a few brew days already marked off on my calendar in the weekends over the next couple months. In addition to the eight batches of homebrew, we'll also have wine and some stuff for mixed drinks.

One thing I'm really looking forward to with this is that I'm making two batches of each beer. I'll keep the recipes and process pretty much the same, but I may do some minor experimenting. For instance, for the IPA- I'm thinking one batch using Cascade/Centennial (which I already know I love) and one batch using all Citra. For the cream ale, I'll probably do one batch using Wyeast 1056, and the other batch using a Kolsch yeast. For the amber and the hefe, I'm thinking I'll keep the recipes exactly the same as a way of testing the consistency of my process.

I was thinking about recommending putting BYOBMC on the invites but those sons of ****** are just the people to show up to a wedding with a case of natty ice under their arm. Can't give'em the opening.

Perfect beer menu for a July outdoor event. I'm sure the non BMC crowd will appreciate the hop variation. Should try and swing some cornies past SWMBO as necessary for the wedding. I do not envy a man bottling 400, even if it does lead to an awesome wedding. Congratulations on that by the way.

What are some of the recipe's? I've been asked to brew for a buddies wedding, he wants 30 gallons of a light tasting home-brew!!
11 gallon batch
15lbs of 2Row
2lbs of Flaked Corn
2lbs of Flaked Rice
1.5oz cascade or Willamette @60
1.5oz cascade or Willamette @ 5
Nottingham yeast
What do you think and what do you suggest to brew!!

By the way congrats BmillaTheBrewzilla!!

What are some of the recipe's? I've been asked to brew for a buddies wedding, he wants 30 gallons of a light tasting home-brew!!
11 gallon batch
15lbs of 2Row
2lbs of Flaked Corn
2lbs of Flaked Rice
1.5oz cascade or Willamette @60
1.5oz cascade or Willamette @ 5
Nottingham yeast
What do you think and what do you suggest to brew!!

By the way congrats BmillaTheBrewzilla!!

That recipe looks pretty similar to the cream ale recipe I have brewed before. I plan on using a very similar recipe for my wedding cream ale. I'll be sure to post all the recipes once they've all been finalized. The amber ale is my first one. I actually stopped by my LHBS to pick up the ingredients today. I figure the amber can be brewed now... the others are all styles that should be as fresh as possible for July.

And thanks! She's an awesome chica- she bought me a trip to northern California to visit the Sierra Nevada brewery for my 30th birthday. We went on the trip earlier in April and she supported my mission to sample as much beer as possible during the three days we were in Cali. I'm definitely not worthy.

Time for an update! I have been busy and didn't have time to update on my brewing progress as the wedding came up... but this past Saturday was finally the big day! Everything went awesome and people had very positive things to say about all the beer. In addition to lots of hard stuff and wine, I provided almost all the homebrew I originally planned on: two batches of amber, two batches of a blonde/cream ale, two batches of IPA, and one batch of hefeweizen. I ran out of time to brew that second batch of hefe that I had planned on. However, it worked out perfectly. As the bus was getting ready to take away everyone that made it through the whole party at the end of the night, there were only five or six beers remaining. Someone grabbed them and took them on the bus. It was a wild bus ride back from the reception site back to town where everyone was staying.

I would say that most of the light beer drinkers really appreciated the blonde ales, but everything got sucked down. I brought 360 12-ounce bottles and they all got drank between the hours of 5:30 and midnight. I sampled all the batches throughout the night and I honestly think they were the best beers I have ever made. I had made over 20 batches before I started the wedding batches and I made a couple of changes to my process that I believe ended up being very significant. Here's what I changed:

1. I bought an oxygenation system and oxygenated my wort with pure oxy before pitching yeast.

2. Prior to these batches, I made yeast starters a few days before a brew, put them in the fridge after they had finished up.. then on brew day decanted the spent "beer" and just pitched the yeast from the bottom. For these batches, I basically did the same thing, but I revived the yeast a few hours prior to pitching by making a half liter worth of fresh wort that I pitched the yeast from the starter into. Then I just pitched this whole half liter starter into the five gallon batch. So esentially made two starters for each batch, but I think it was worth it.

3. I used yeast nutrient in the starters and in the actual wort.

Anyway, the beer was all super clean and well-attenuated and I think these changes made the difference.

Oh, one more beer related note from the wedding. My bride found someone to make an awesome red velvet cheesecake as our wedding cake. So a couple days before the wedding I drove up to Wisconsin (we were only about a ten minute drive away) and picked up a sh**load of New Glarus Raspberry Tart and Wisconsin Belgian Red. For those of you who haven't had these Wisconsin treats, they Belgian style beers aged on raspberries and cherries, respectively. They were served with the cheesecake and were a huge hit!

All in all, it was truly the greatest day of my life and I successfully contributed to lots of drunken silliness. Cheers everyone! :mug:

As an addendum to this, my wife (how long does it take to get used to saying that??) and I are leaving on our honeymoon on Thursday. We're flying to SF, renting a car and driving up the coast. We'll do a few days along the coast in northern Cal, a few days in Portland, a few days in Seattle, and a few days in Vancouver. I already know I'm going to be drinking some Pliny (and other Russian River stuff) when I get the chance! Any other west coast beers I can't get in Chicago that I should be sure to sample on the trip? My wife is awesome, enjoys good beer and doesn't mind stopping at brewpubs and breweries when we travel.

Congrats on the wedding and successful beer. I getting ready to start some batches for my September wedding.

Back